View Single Post
Old 11-12-23, 09:52 PM   #20
ElCid97
Gunner

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 5

I've been trying to get something done this weekend, but ran into a brick wall when it came to trying to add another window. I found several posts that said you could MAYBE add another "page" since the option seemed to be there in the "ini" file as well as the "commands.cfg" file, to an extent. Instead, I just got a message that said something was not implemented -- despite the fact everything was there where it was supposed to be.

Oh, well.

At least I got the radio done. I'll see about getting a beta package in the next few days, so sorry about not having one this weekend.

Here is the new radio page with some more reference information than the default.

The one thing you have to keep in mind is that the ONLY area that you can "grab" onto is the one where the main radio is. In other words, only the main "page" where the ONI-223-M chart is placed. If you can see the crossed arrows and the frequency for the radio, you're golden. You can't "grab" the window via the convoy map, flags, or range table. Not sure why this is, but I'm not going to sweat it since it seems to work.

Here is the new convoy map, which is basically the old one with an index card bearing the Japanese Naval Ensign since I couldn't think of anything else for now:

This is the "main" radio page that we're all familiar with. It now has the ONI-223-M reference page that explained the ONI-209 classification system. Like the convoy map, it has the plastic cover courtesy of the Dark Waters mod. If it's not "kosher" to have it on there as part of the image, please let me know and I won't include it for the release:

The cork board at the right has the more common Hull Classification indexes you're more likely to come across when looking for the ships in the accompanying chart. The full index is included now in the recognition manual as a separate country that you can select as shown in the previous screenshots.

The board across the bottom basically has a strip of paper tacked to the cork board there. Right now it's blank since I haven't really done anything with the "mod" it's for, but I wanted to have it there already for when I get around to it.

I was inspired by the recent post for the ECOPTC encryption device to look at some of the "codes" that were used to communicate with the resistance on the Philippines. It was a very basic grid that resembled the POW morse-code grid used during Vietnam. I have four or five "grids" already done, it's just a matter of getting the time to "code" the messages. I'm just afraid that if I touch "tsr" files in notepad I may break something. Besides, I still don't know which ones to look for to beging with.

Like I said, it's for something down the line, but I wanted to plan ahead. If you guys want to modify the graphics to put your own notes on the paper strip, by all means.

Here's the right side graphics which include the range table and the flag chart. They look blurry in the shot, but that's because I made them smaller for the upload.

The Range Table:

The Flag Chart (1944):

They are readable in-sim. The only one that is so-so is the flag chart, but you can make out what it says.

I was actually debating whether or not to use it since it's from 1944 and by that point in the war many of the Commonwealth countries were using their own ensigns (South Africa, for example) as opposed to the British ensign (White Ensign) which is found in the recognition manual now.

I was thinking of changing some of the index cards so that you have the option of having the flags for the manual as pre-1944 and post-1944 based on this chart. Same with the chart itself. That way if you're pre-1944 you have the manual as it is now and there's no flag chart (or at least another one that matches the manual). If you're post-1944, you have the flag chart as you see it and you have the updated flags on the manual. It would just be a matter of which one you wanted active with JSGME.

About the only thing I'm somewhat afraid of is that the user would have to manually edit some of the sections in the menu_1024_768.ini file since JM's wonderful tool only CHANGES sections that are in there, but it doesn't add or remove them. You would have to manually edit the file first, then use JM's menu-merger to get the rest of the file's lines written in.

Hope everyone had a good weekend and look forward to the next one!

Regards,

ElCid97
ElCid97 is offline   Reply With Quote