View Single Post
Old 05-16-17, 07:55 PM   #24
BarracudaUAK
Captain

Downloads: 31
Uploads: 0

Sorry, things got busy over the weekend, and I didn't get a chance to get back to you sooner...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post

From step 2 on I do not know what you mean by "prefix", in step 2"
Make a new Wine Prefix and have it install Mono in that prefix when it asks you.
I already have mono installed, does this install it again?

Some of the problem is probably due to the fact it was install by Crossover, I will investigate that side.

Just to answer your question...

I put this in the thread I started on WINE, since so many are making the jump to Linux:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=229238

But I'll quote the relevant part here:

Quote:
The Basics:

Once WINE is installed it makes a hidden directory in your "home" folder.
This "WINE" directory is known as a "Prefix", a Wine prefix is a directory that "mimics" (or "fakes") a Windows drive, with a registry, a "Windows", "Program Files" and other needed directories and files (all redirecting to linux files).
You can have multiple "Prefixes", each tailored to a specific game if you need them...

There is a "start" menu (aka "Application Launcher") shortcut for the configuration program "winecfg". There you can set which version(s) of windows you would like wine to mimic while running your programs. (I have mine set to Win7 as the default.)
As well as set specific windows versions for specific programs.

Some games, such as old 16bit games that originally ran on WIn95/98 will need a 32bit prefix. You can make a new "prefix" and name it whatever you like, the usual suggestion is "wine32"...

This "wine32" directory is completely separate from the default wine directory.
It has its own registry, windows, and program files directories.
Installing a program, such as "Silent 3ditor" into one prefix, will not make it available in another prefix. Just as installing a game on one Windows PC, doesn't make it available on another Windows PC.
This prefix also has its own configuration settings.

However, to do this, you must use the command line, and you must use the command line to access the winecfg for that prefix as well.
Just to give you an idea, I have 6 different "prefixes" (.wine, .wine32) at the moment!

I have various mod tools for different games, (I've got mods going in 9 different games at the moment, all in various stages. And some pending WINE/video driver updates to continue.) and those various mod tools and games require various versions of dotnet and directx. The different "prefixes" let you isolate the games environment so that you can reduce the possible chances for errors. Almost like having a separate PC for each game you want to run!

But the Linux program "WINE", is still just a single program. Installed at (I think) "/usr/bin/wine".
The various "prefixes" are just the "environment" that you are telling it to create, similar to a configuration script. Just "a bit more complex".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
The ones listed are ones I want to install, there many be equivalents I have to search.
Wavelab is an old version (4.0) but works well, especially the waveform restorer.
Far Cry 2 is just stereo, some of the newer games might be 3D audio, atm I only have the laptop speakers, I intend to get some good external speakers later.
The keyword being sink!!!
I wish you luck on that, so far the sound works well, even on Far Cry.
Another reason I gave up on Win 10 is that I tried to run XP in a virtual desktop, it worked ok except the sound, I couldn't get that going!!
I got Far Cry 2 to work on Win 10 but had a lot of problems and lockups, so far it is working well in Linux.

Good to know that you got it working.
Sometimes it just takes a bit of tweaking.
But the upside is that you learn more about the system quite a bit faster than you would otherwise!

Barracuda
BarracudaUAK is offline   Reply With Quote