View Single Post
Old 06-06-13, 12:07 PM   #130
GlobalExplorer
Admiral

Downloads: 165
Uploads: 0

Good to see this getting some discussion. Let me chime in ..

First, I think UBIs simulation branch is a thing of the past. Stupid decisions, bad software quality and support, and also astronomic expecations from the users have killed not only Silent Hunter, but IL2, and LOMAC long before.

Worst of all, while the flightsims have survived somehow, the people that brought us Silent Hunter are scattered into the winds.

But perhaps not all is lost. Flightsims are as strong as ever and live on through dedicated companies like DCS and 777 Studios. There are even new games in development like Battle of Stalingrad. The same with racing sims, there are companies who have specialized in that field as well. This self published model works much better for simulations than the big publisher / small developer relationship that never really exploited the potential.

What we need is only 1 developer who takes up the naval sim field. I think one day we'll see it happen but it could take some years. As to the kickstarter approach, I have not seen anything interesting happen in the simulation field, but it could happen.

Such things simply take time, often a decade until someone sees the opportunity. Old hands will remember that there was a completely bleak period between 1995 and 2005, and how did that change with SH3. There was a similar drought in WW1 combat sims, there was practically nothing decent available for a decade between RB2, and now there is practically too much choice with Rise of Flight, Over Flanders Fields, First Eagles, etc.

GlobalExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote