View Single Post
Old 08-30-07, 08:51 AM   #19
Captain Nemo
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 54
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB..
well it's difficult to be exact guessing the FPS i'm getting with SOF.(there's no FPS counter..)...but judging by the fact that it is extremely border line FPS wise i would say that i'm getting around the same as i got with SH4...ie around 11 FPS
anyless than that and it becomes a completely unplayable "slide show"
any more than that and it starts to present you with "smooth" framerates...the "magic cut off" number being around 13 FPS..

the good thing about subsims is that you tend to be doing everything pretty slowly anyway so poor frame rates are not as much a block as other sorts of games..BUT it makes everything you do very laboriuos and in the end fairly unpleasant..(gives you eye ache and eventualy a head ache to go with it after a while)..so yup in SH4 11 fps is in practical terms unplayable...(you can play it but you get fed up of it juddering very quickly)

the fix i have made seems to take SOF up from perhaps 10 or 11 FPS to around 12/13/14/16 FPS depending on other factors (weather effects etc)
which means i can just abut cope with it..but it's still pretty annoying...it takes over a minute to raise the periscope for example..and the same amount of time to pan it round 360 degrees...which is very irritating...the bridge view on the other hand now pans round pretty much with the mouse...and so on

i think i have sorted the problem with the graphics settings not sticking when you set them...you need to go to the final options screen on the list
(the one at the bottom of the list) enter it and select "JA" then it stores them....heres another funny thing tho...i get better frame rates with all the options maxed out than i do with them set at minimum...
it's a laugh a minute...very odd

anyhuw at least i don't have to reset the gamma and contrast every time i run the game now...so that's the trick with that issue..

i'm hoping i will stumble across the effect that most influences the FPS ...then if i can edit it accordingly i can bring the FPS up to a more enjoyable level....if i do then i'm sure i will enjoy this game enourmously..
Thanks CB. Looks like I'll need a new graphics card to play SH4 at an enjoyable level, much as I suspected really. Do let us know if you make any progress regarding the effect that most influences the FPS in SOF, as this also looks like a game that I'll want to buy in the near future.

Nemo

Sir John Slessor GCB, DSO, MC, DL
AOC-in-C Coastal Command RAF