View Single Post
Old 01-17-20, 09:48 PM   #1
vikingSquid
Nub

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0
Default installing and running SH3 in 2020

So my step father *really* wants silent hunter 3 and nothing else up and running.
But his machine is windows 10.

He purchased the dvd game off ebay, I installed it for him and it gives the error that the O/S is not compatible and needs to be 95/98/XP/2000, etc,etc.
So I changed the compatiblity mode on it to XP SP2, same error. Tried running it as administrator, same error. Patched it up to 1.4, same error.

I then went and put the game on a windows 7 laptop that I have, same error.

I am an IT guy and I will find a way on this So next I went out and put XP mode on windows 7 laptop, fired up a virtual XP mode VM, got an error saying that it can't run in virtual pc.

So questions...

Has anyone got this running on windows 10?

If so how did you do it. Is the steam version different/more compatible with windows 10?

Heck I even grabbed an old IMac that has 8G of ram, partitioned off part of the drive and put XP on it. I did get the game to fire up there but it crashes right after the intro screen because of an audio driver thing. (finding XP drivers for an IMac based machine is a bit tricky) still I'd rather not have it there.

My first preference is to find a way to get this to run on his current desktop under windows 10, if I absolutely had to I could put virtual box and a true XP vm up. But he is very computer challenged and would not want to do that. That and games sometimes have issues running in VM's.

If anyone has some thoughts on how I can get this up and going for him I'd greatly appreciate it.
thx!
vikingSquid is offline   Reply With Quote