View Single Post
Old 08-03-22, 03:28 PM   #253
hunter301
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuerte14 View Post
I have both Steam and disc version to install from. I also have read through some FAQs after the first fault so what I've tried already are:

1) Install folder is apart from default suggestion, even named with no spaces, like Drive:/SilentHunter4
2) High DPI Override engaged
3) No additional items were skipped during the install (though only disc version offers them, Steam doesnt)
4) Installed DX9 from a separate offline installer after the game is installed
5) Copy/paste dx9 dlls from the SysWOW64 folder as mentioned above
6) Run .exe in Vista SP2 or Win7 compatibility mode
7) Even tried to LAA patch executable, though I have 32Gb RAM onboard under the Win10 x64

both versions - same result. Game freezes when I try to start campaign or go to the any settings
What kind of problem are you having?
Did you purchase both versions of SH4 on Steam? You'll need the U-boat missions for FORTSU to work.
With me the problem was I couldn't get the game to play on full screen no matter what I did. Kept going back and forth with both program and game file config.sys files for the full screen application but nothing ever happened.
As soon as I checked the full screen option in the games game options file it would show my both preview screens and go to a black screen and lock up.
Had to CTL-ALT-DELETE so many times and reboot the system

Every step your talking about I had to do as well.
I have the older disc original version and an Amazon download I purchased back in 2014. Couldn't get either version to work.
That same weekend Steam was running a special. I was able to buy both the original and the U-boat add on for $10.00 so I bought it and downloaded it thru steam.
I did all of the steps you did above. What ended up clearing up all my problems for the original Steam game was when I found the article about copying the directX .dll files from one folder to the other so they synced. This is needed for running the game on Win10.
After that the original game ran fine. Was almost afraid to pull the trigger and install the FOTRS mod but really, really wanted so I set myself to getting it done. Everybody has all these complicated instructions and says you have to move the game folder out of the Steam folder on your computer but I left it there just to see. And everything worked fine. The only thing I had to do was install the LAA patch for running the larger files that FOTRS deals with.
Since then I haven't had a problem.
Remember to download a clean version of both games from Steam. The original and U-boat add on.
Then depending on what problems you're having do the .dll file copy so the same files appear on both folders.
Once I did that the original game ran fine.
Now... "DO NOT PLAY THE ORIGINAL GAME AND SAVE ANYTHING!" If you play it, play it but down save the games or missions.
Download and install the JSGME mod app so it creates your MOD folder. After that download the FOTRSU mod into the MOD folder and the LAA app and once you activate LAA you should be good. At least it was for me.
Everybody seems to have the same problems only just slightly different.
Good Luck.

"You know what the chain of command is?
It's the chain I get and beat you with till you understand who's in command."
-ME

Last edited by hunter301; 08-03-22 at 03:43 PM.
hunter301 is offline   Reply With Quote