View Single Post
Old 09-12-21, 04:17 PM   #1
Singed
Sailbad the Sinner

Downloads: 126
Uploads: 0
Default I'm actually playing SH-5! Questions though.

I was out of the subsim world for quite a while, my go to was always SH3 with GWX (of course), or SH-4 RFB. SH-5 was a lost cause to me then I came back and saw all the work put in to it.

With TWOS it is pretty amazing, it plays well on my laptop, CTDs happen but I get hours of solid playtime between them. I've done a lot of reading and I think I'm pretty solid on a lot of the gotchas like campaign transitions etc. though I haven't actually gotten there yet. I'm just shocked at the work the modders did.

In all that reading however I'm unclear on a couple of things.

How "on rails" is the campaign, for example I'm doing (I think I remember right) NW Approaches and assigned a patrol area, I tagged 3 merchants in route, I'm halfway there and down to half of my torpedoes. Is it campaign breaking to just hang out where I am (which seems kind of rich), pick up a couple more merchants then head back to port?

Is the whole map active? Say instead of grid AMxx I decide to head down off the Canary Islands (DB?) like I might in SH3, any chance of targets? Will BdU be upset?

Finally: I saw in some posts (maybe right, maybe wrong) that upgrades from the VIIA to VIIB etc. are based on Rating but if I look at my Rating score after 3 patrols in KSD Commander it's 0.

Awards: Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse, U-Boot-Kriegsabzeichen
Commanded: U-33(VIIA)
Current Location: 2ndFlotilla
Home Base: Memel, Kiel, Wilhelmshaven, Kiel, Wilhelmshaven
Merit: 1900
Raiting: 0
Sinking tonnage: 54,821
Sunk merchant ships : 14
Torpedoes launched: 22
Impact: 6
Missed: 13
No exact data: 3
Number of patrols: 5
Total time at sea: 48 days
Current Status: out to sea 2/5/1940

Getting used to manual targeting (again, 6 / 13, wow did't realized I was that bad). Used the deck gun a lot.
Singed is offline   Reply With Quote