Thread: [TEC] Let's grab the ID's
View Single Post
Old 12-15-21, 02:41 PM   #1
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130
Uploads: 0

Default Let's grab the ID's

A BIG problem has always been ID conflicts when doing ANY mod!
Sure. There's a small chance for duplicate ID's but it DOES and HAS happened!
I'm going to tell you how to get the ID's and put them into a SEARCHABLE data base! Then any new Unit or whatever can be checked against that to reduce conflicts.

I only work with 010 Editor so it's based off that. It's only a few bucks and any serious Modder needs it in their tool as I'll be writing Scripts and such to assist.

Step 1 in the process......
Run IDduplicatefinder and index a folder.
Minimize That.
Open 010 and under FILE, Open Process.
Scroll untill you find IDduplcatefinder and click on it. Open as read only.
Save that as a hex document like process(0).dat.

Step 2 in the process......
Now open IDduplicate finder and get the first ID in the scrollable list.
If its say 199D6FC7A8007495 (May be different!) that needs to be typed into a txt document for further use.
Go to the LAST ID and do the same.

Step 3 in the process......
Go ahead and close 010 at this time and close IDdulpicatefinder. You have the file save of course so we will work with that until I write scripts for you lazy Gits.

Step 4 in the process......
Open your browser (And if you are wondering what that is? STOP NOW!)
Go to https://www.browserling.com/tools/text-to-hex
Pasted your 1st and last saved ID's into that converter to get the hex values. (One at a time! That's one ID complete. Not one entry at a time!)
Copy and save the output of each!

Step 5 in the process......
If you've made it this far? Congratulations! You should have something like below saved.
31 39 39 44 36 46 43 37 41 38 30 30 37 34 39 35
You need to modify that like below.
31 00 39 00 39 00 44 00 36 00 46 00 43 00 37 00 41 00 38 00 30 00 30 00 37 00 34 00 39 00 35
Those will be our search strings in 010.

(I know at this point your saying " This all seems pretty complected!" Suck it up ButterCup! I'll write scripts for you when I get the time. So pull your diapers up and put Big Boy boots on and stop the whimpering.)

Step 6 in the process......
Using 010, open the saved process file. (You did save one right?)
Select Search, find and paste in the first of those strings you saved and make sure your set for Hex Bytes.
Delete everything above that!
Do the same for the last string and delete EVERYTHING below that!

You should end up with all ID's now. Save the file!

Step 7 in the process......
Time to start making this into a usable and searchable data base.

In 010 Select Search, Replace. Options needs to be set for Match Whole Word, Maximum WildCard length 2.
Find Hex Bytes 00
Leave Replace blank. Once the Replace is done? Select ALL then Copy As Text Area.
Make a new text document and paste into that. Now that IS searchable. But.......

Step 8 in the process......
Let's cut this file down and get rid of the Hex notions shall We?
I use open Office so here's what I do.
Open a new Spreed Sheet. Go to Insert, Sheet From File, select your save and make sure spaces is your delimiter.
Delete all columns except the full ID and save as a cvs.
Once saved? Rename it to whateverYouwant.txt

Step 9 in the process......
Pop the Top off your favorite Beer and enjoy the fact you actually made it this far!!!

Step 10 in the process......
Start posting about how the instructions confused you because you used Step 9 (Multiple times!) before Step 2!
Then post about how I should have written the Scripts before hand so you could have skipped Steps 2 through 8.
Never admitting You used Step 9 multiple times before ever really trying this.

(Admittedly posted after practicing Step 9 multiple times. Maybe I should make that Step 1?)

Last edited by Jeff-Groves; 12-15-21 at 05:00 PM.
Jeff-Groves is offline   Reply With Quote