View Single Post
Old 10-25-08, 10:54 AM   #25
jdkbph
Captain

Downloads: 104
Uploads: 0

Not that I could find... and I noticed the same thing. I wonder if that was a feature that was dropped for initial release?

For anyone on the fence....

This game is fun... a light diversion at the moment, but it has the potential to be more than that with a few (guessing here) "upgrades" or tweaks. Stuff like...

1. Damage. I haven't noticed that damage does anything other than accumulate. I presume there's a formula that defines how this generic accumulation affects whether the ship sinks or continues to swim. I have not noted any specific effects such as rudder damage that affects maneuverability, or engine/screw damage that effects speed. I have not seen anything blow up due to magazine or boiler hits.

2. Damage reporting. The simple fire/flood/damage system works for now, but I would like to see them expand here. For instance, I would like to know that my rudder has been shot away, or that 2 of 4 boilers have been disabled. In other words, if any of the above is in the game (or may make it into the game at a later date) I'd like to know about it. Detail and thoughtful analysis based on detail are one of the prime advantages of a turn based Igo-Ugo game system.

3. Is there a crew on board? How are they being affected by the battle? Yeah, I can bounce 68 pounders off the Virginia's hull all day without causing significant damage to the ship, but what is that doing to the crew... and by extension the combat capability of the ship?

4. Fights to the death. This may be an AI thing or a combination of AI and GUI, but the AI needs to run/beach/surrender when it's getting whipped, and the player needs the ability to surrender as well. Why? There's no historical reason why a ship can't strike colors, taking itself out of the fight (no player control), yet be "reclaimed" should the player eventually win the day. Striking colors, in the classic naval sense, requires that the opponent take possession in order to complete the surrender.

5. More status type info. What's my current speed? Heading? Wind and wave state, and how does that affect the way my ship handles?

6. Info about sighted enemy ships. Granted, you wouldn't know much, but you should be able to estimate speed and heading - or at the very least know whether something is or is not currently moving and roughly which direction relative to your position. This info should be displayed on the map.

7. Opportunity fire. This game is screaming for opportunity fire. If I chose not to fire a gun during my active turn, the AI should fire it for me at an opportune time. Even better would be allowing the player to customize the parameters used by the AI to conduct opportunity fire (eg, max range, minimum accuracy, etc.).

Oh, and it seems the save function is somewhat hosed... at least on my system. Player named save games do appear in the save folder, but are not visible on the load menu. However, if I rename the save using the "autosave" naming convention (eg, autosave4.tgsave) it shows up fine and I can continue the game.

Overall though, this game is highly recommended to naval history buffs and fans of the obscure. It has some seriously good potential to expand beyond the ACW - the Italian/Austro-Hungarian war (Lissa, etc), the Texas Revolution, the Pacific Wars (Peru v Chile, etc), the Crimean thing, and any number of what-ifs (what if the Brits came in on the Confederate side to break the blockade, etc). You just don't get this anywhere else short of board gaming. And at $35 (USD), it's not that hard on the pocket book.

JD

Last edited by jdkbph; 10-25-08 at 11:19 AM.
jdkbph is offline   Reply With Quote