View Single Post
Old 10-04-21, 10:37 AM   #11
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by derstosstrupp View Post
Well, say the target speed is 15 kn, shooting a 30 knot torpedo. If you just assume 90 AOB for a perpendicular setup, that is going to give you a lead angle of 30. When in reality using the correct formula for a perpendicular lead angle, yields 26.6. That’s a big difference depending on the range.

There are times when “close enough” is fine, but unless somebody is told that close enough only applies at close range, they would be led astray.

Also easily solvable using vector analysis. Using the fact pattern above, draw a line on the map 30 km long straight up. Draw a line going from the top end of that line but perpendicular, 15 km long. Now draw the third leg of the triangle and measure the angle at the bottom, your lead angle. Allows you to quickly figure out your lead angle for any desired track angle.
Ok, but you can iteratively approximate it more accurately with repeated steps.

Assume AOB =90 ; Torpedo speed is 30 kts ; Target speed is 15 kts. > Leadangle =30

That means the AOB at firing time should be 60 instead. So align torpedo speed to angle 60: Now lead angle becomes 25.5 degrees for 15kts target speed.

That means the AOB at firing time should be 64.5 instead. So align torpedo speed to angle 64.5: Now lead angle becomes 26.75 for 15kts target speed.

That means the AOB at firing time should be 63.23 instead. So align torpedospeed to angle 63.25: Now lead angle becomes 26.5 for 15 kts target speed.

That means the AOB at firing time should be 63.5 instead. So align torpedo speed to angle 63.5: Now lead angle becomes very close to 26.5 again. No need to continue now. (I did this on my handheld template Attackdisk, reading and disk setting accuracy is getting the better of you beyond this point.)