Thread: SH-60 Help
View Single Post
Old 06-28-07, 04:18 PM   #4
Hans_Brux
Nub

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Hi! Not being here for long time, this is one of my first post here (have done some posting in SH3 forum before). But I have moved "few" years forward, so for now, I am aboard DW, entering the digital warfare era So I am also new to this game, like you Its really interesting to compare the warfare back then and now, but I have to admit that my SH3 knowledge is by no menas useless at DW! But, as a DW newby I chose MH60 as my starting platform, like you, and have learned to handle it really well (at leats I think ), so I can answer your questions:
  1. Your approach is basically fine, I use the same, your issue are the details (and DW is about details, like all REAL Sims). Firstly, use three buoys to triangulate your prey (TRIangulate=three points or more, using of two buoys could be named like "Duangulation" ). I know, I know, your approach worked on this Victor, but it will come short as soon as you will have to track zig-zaging sub. Using three point tracking is MUCH more accurate (off course, it depend on buoys positions, sometimes 2 point tracking can be more acurrate than 4 point tracking, but this is extreme, not rule!). Secondly, cut short your triangulate period-10 mnts is so loooooong time...imagine that this Victor won't go straight but will be zig/zaging...your approach will be useless because you'll have two trackers with 10 mnts gap and at the time you'll reach the second tracker by flying down the line, the sub could be off the line already because it changed course, so you'll find nothing. So, cut down the gap between triangulation - 2 mnts is fine, but 30sec is also necesary in some cases (Sub rapidly changing course, evading your or someone elses torpedoes, turning away from active sonar a.s.o.....). Basically, the less time between tracking, the better! What you wanna know is what the sub skipper will do next minute, two....and you can find out this by placing as many trackers as posibble, so you can predict his next step (for example, when zig-zaging, firstly he steers left, then right, then again left....so there is high probability that his next steer will be again on right side). With enough trackers, you can guess where he'll be let's say in five minutes, and wait for him and his MAD response there.
  2. Flying down the line and getting MAD response is good tactic, but basically its not so easy as in this DEMO (where the Sub is going straight) so you have to slightly change your approach (mentioned in the point above), finding MAD in helo is sometimes really tricky . So, lets predict you get MAD-now you've got two options: first-imediately launch your torpedo with circle pattern preset and depth setting depending on sub depth, layer position a.s.o. (in this demo, there is no layer do feel free to not change the defaults, only set the pattern). With little bit of luck you should hit the sub. Use this tactic only when you are pushed by time (for example the sub is closing fastly to the convoy you are protecting) and have to act fast. This tactic is also good on those pesky Kilos, because tracking them is really hard and once you got MAD, you've to get max use of it (you can get another MAD later, but then it could be already late). So, this was the firts option. The second one is much more precise and lethal MOST times. Once you get MAD, immediately stop, go to hover and stream your dipping sonar. Use active and you get his exact position-he won't be far away max 1000yds (of course, depending on his speed). Simply said, although you'll tell him by pinging him that you are there, before the sub captain will shout "knuckle left/right!!", your torpedoes will be already in the water (assign them to target-acive ping response- in the ATO,set RTE to zero, because as soon as the torpedo hits the water, it will "see" its prey), no more than 30 second to impact....to little time for the sub captain to react. Use this tactic when you have those 45+ seconds to stop, stream a ping, otherwise use the first tactic I mentioned above.
  3. They are global! This is most probably the reason why your torpedo missed, your runout baring setting was (I guess) 000, but the torpedo did'nt go straight form you, but it instead went north (I did same mistake as you for the firts time
  4. I skip this one, alright? So many words from me already here!
Anyway, I'am glad that I'am not the only one who found this game as far as now, so I can share my piece of knowledge with someone else. Looking forward for next posting!

P.S.: I'am not native-english speaking man, so I apologize for eventuall errors
P.S.2: When you master the helo, I recommend you to continue with P3
Hans_Brux is offline   Reply With Quote