View Single Post
Old 11-23-21, 02:19 PM   #1
Ludwig van Hursh
A-ganger

Downloads: 65
Uploads: 0
radar Best way to escape torpedoes? And other questions...

So I bought Cold Waters yesterday and have been enjoying it thus far, I am not familiar with modern submarine tactics as apposed to those of WW2 Fleetboats and U-boats, but I think I'm getting the hang of it....maybe.

So my main question is how do I escape torpedoes that are locked on or close enough to lock on.

Last night I was in the USS Narwhal and was able to hunt down a Soviet Charlie II, managing to sink it with a lucky shot from a torpedo whose wire was cut due to some sudden aggressive maneuvering I had to do in order o evade a torpedo fired back at me. I turned about from a course of approximately 270 to 090 and went to flank speed to keep the distance open and dropped a noise maker and threw out a few knuckles as was shown in the tutorial. Once the torpedo was no longer locked on I turned to about 135 and dive down to 600 feet then went silent.

The torpedo circled a few times and then locked on again and kept following me and I couldn't shake it, dropping over a dozen noise makers and going all over the place that I can't remember what my course and depths were. At one point the torpedo passed probably 20 feet under the boat. Finally the torpedo lost contact and self destructed.

Now like I said I'm new and not used to the modern sub techniques, but is there a better way to avoid torpedoes that doesn't require so many noise makers dropped and the risk of being detected by other enemies, I was lucky it was only one sub?

Oh and as a minor follow-on question, is the sonar scan screen with all the lines as shown in the game realistic to real submarine sonar?