View Single Post
Old 01-05-20, 04:17 PM   #27
Cyborg322
Scurvy Dog of the Deep

Downloads: 363
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET2SN View Post
I didn't need a GPU for performance, I was already getting what I wanted from the CPU. I wanted some display options the CPU didn't provide. I also wanted the system to run based on a 5-10 year "daily driver" work load where I wasn't swapping out parts every two years. The GPU I'm running doesn't have a fan because it doesn't need it. That told me it didn't generate a lot of heat with the added benefit of taking it easy on the power supply. Again, I was aiming for durability and long-life with this set up with an eye towards my budget.

Way back when (this quest is older than this thread), Mapuc said he needed to replace his lap top without breaking the bank and I got the feeling that posting eight paragraphs of tech babble with the appropriate charts and graphs wasn't going to be helpful. So, I'm trying to condense my replies as much as I can to keep the info easier to understand.

You can trust me if you want. I'm a 1986 alum of the U Maine school of engineering/tech with practical experience as a Navy ET on two subs and field engineer experience with companies like Kodak in some tough markets.

Or not, that wasn't why I wanted to help Mapuc. Those were just tools I could use.

Hello Mr ET2SN

Since my last post I looked up passive cooled GPU's and was surprised there was some on the market some have very big heatsinks to keep things cool . They would cost around the $40 as you say the specs are not bad v cost and since you don't appear to been having driver problems or artifacts they must cool adequately. If it works ok for your needs that's fine. Personally I would swap it for a GTX1050 or it's AMD equivalent they are not to pricey and would unlikely bottleneck an i3 even then you would be in the low graphics settings range for most modern titles. Without knowing exactly what you have it impossible to say have much benefit it would give you.

Typing dxdiag in the search box would tell you with windows 10 what your system is made up of or better still using GPU Z utility. I was just curious more than anything as to what you have and the advice you were given. As to Mapuc he's gone for a mid'ish range PC which can handle most games with 6GB of VRAM which is important as games are becoming more and more dependant on higher dedicated video memory it should be future proof for many years. Not a bad option in my opinion and would easily qualify as a gaming PC. As to prebuilt PCs off the shelf like HP and Dell etc I would not recommend to anyone they are built cheaply with low rated power supplies etc and overall can work out more expensive to upgrade.

I spent a lot of time choosing parts for my build which is now 7 years old and had a lot of upgrades over time its worked out very well and still keeping up with AAA's on high there are some components that you really should not go cheap on such as PSU's and there is a definite scale as to what to spend your hard earned $$$$ on at the opposite scale even very cheap Motherboards
do the job. This is really important if you are wanting to give anyone advice on PC builds. Which I have a lot of experience with.

MY Specs if anyone's interested [ prolly not ]

Intel i5 3570k OC to 4.5GHZ Coolermaster HS Copper Heatpipe 120mm fan

Zotac GTX980ti 6GB Vram swapped for a Zotac GTX 660 originally

HyperX 250GB SSD
Western Digital HDD 2 x 1TB 1x 2TB

HyperX 8GB RAM 2xCrucial 4GB RAM Modules

ASUS P8 Z77lx MB

EVGA 800w PSU Gold

No flashing lights RGB lighting etc which I would like but has low priority and I'm not rich

Maybe due to retire soon but still rolling on