View Single Post
Old 06-19-16, 03:50 PM   #9
rjord
Watch

Downloads: 82
Uploads: 0

Before finishing this mission for SS-143 as listed in last few posts.......

I am going to first recreate the missions for those of the USS S-36 (SS-141) commanded by Lt. Creed C. Burlingame (age 36)

EDIT : this has been changed as Burlingame commanded till February 39.
James R McNaught is the commander of this sub during the time of this mission

With these missions I will be adding in some features to make them more challenging.

- where possible you will have to stick to the timeline as given in the mission and experienced by the original sub crews

- some events may happen which may leave you on the surface when you really need to dive. Example.... with the SS-141 diving was delayed by oil supply failures to the starboard engine, and she was subsequently sighted by a Japanese destroyer.

This first mission recreates what happens in the weeks before the incident with the starboard engine and what happens when the destroyer chases down SS-141.

With these missions you will be forced to operate the sub as per the mission.

Example, the SS-141 experiences an issue with her main motor bearing which began smoking and oil needed to be applied by hand squirt gun. Later her trim pump stalled. The No. 2 main ballast was blown and at 230 feet (70 m) the boat began to rise.

Obviously these issues are not going to be showing in Silent Hunter 4 but I am putting this mission together in a way that when you are told the sub's ballast has blown and the sub is starting to rise..... you need to head to the surface. However venting and flooding was begun and you stop at 90 feet below the surface.

In a critical condition concerning trim and propulsion with the Japanese Destroyer still hunting you need to try and clear the area.

You might think your troubles are over but if a fire broke out in the main motor auxiliary circulating pump you might have to surface the boat.

This is a brief idea of the first mission.

The USS S-36 (SS-141) had 2 war patrols and these will be the first 2 missions I am recreating. Very detailed notes on what happened to the submarine have been taken from the microfilm records to make this mission as close to realism as possible.

Can you guys let me know which is the preferred place for me to start adding these missions so you can try them out as each one is finished?

Last edited by rjord; 06-19-16 at 05:59 PM.
rjord is offline   Reply With Quote