View Single Post
Old 11-19-23, 10:42 PM   #1
Joe S
XO

Downloads: 28
Uploads: 0
Default harware upgrade

Hello everyone,

I have been out of flight sims for about ten years and want to get back in. Will be flying in IL-2 Stormovik. My computer is about ten years old and I will be getting a new one, configured to meet the specs of IL-2 at a high level, if not the highest. Looking at the following for computer specs:I
ntel core i7 13th gen CPU ,Motherboard with Intel Z790 Chipset,48 GB of ram, 1 TB SSD, 750 watt power supply
Nvidia RTX 4070 Ti video card, Mid tower case,Windows 11

If you see anything there that will be problematic please let me know.

Originally I was determined to get into VR, but then I realized that in VR you cannot see the keyboard, so now I am looking at head and eye tracking, which seems to be a good compromise. If anyone has any comments as to the pros and cons of headtracking I would appreciate it.
My version of Il-2 is old, I assume we can simply the flight controls to minimize the need for the keyboard. What flight controllers would be recommended ? If there is a way to simplify the flight controls so that they can be done with HOTAS stick and throttle, that would allow me to get into VR. Otherwise, I would be OK with head tracking.

I am NOT a techie, and at age 70 not likely to become one, so I need a setup that will be as simple and close to plug and play as possible!

Thanks for your help, looking forward to getting back into itI

Joe S
Joe S is offline   Reply With Quote