View Single Post
Old 01-02-20, 08:31 PM   #318
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Downloads: 210
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
In the Support folder is a file "FotRSU - Equipment & Unit list.xlsx" which has a lot of the "assets'" info, but not the draft. In the next release will be a pdf with basically what the cfg files have in them for the ships "dimensions". Now, the game does not use most of those figures except in the RecMan, it uses the sim and other files for the "correct" data. This is one of RR's pet peeves that will stay, in that there was bad information, and there was misinformation, and there was missing information in the RecMans used back then, not forgetting to mention typoes - like 34 instead of 24 probably... There are also more than one Katori model in the mod, don't forget. One has planes, one has lots of depth charges. Lots. They are both slow though.

Like you did, it behooves a skipper to use his common sense when shooting at a ship. Most CL didn't have much as far as torpedo protection goes, so the target most likely would have had a 12-15 foot depth, impact pistol, set of torpedoes shot at it, except of course, in the first year of the war, or under Christie... - If CapnScurvy comes out of retirement and gives all an FotRSU OTC mod, then you will have the perfect RecMan, because it would be necessary for the mod to have such. Now, witness merc4ulfate below, and his haul on the last patrol... - he don't need no shteenking RecMan at ~all~...

I "destroyed" a five ship convoy one time with one torpedo and a couple of planes - getting credit for just the one, but similar to what you did, I hit a ship carrying ammunition apparently, and they were all running away from an airplane attack, so were basically bunched together, almost running into each other. So when the ammunition ship went up, the nearby small merchant was also annihilated, and actually sank first. The explosions also ignited a nearby tanker (avgas??), which blew sky-high, and severely damaged the nearby fast freighter and the other ship, which were then finished off with more planes, before I could get my boat turned... Gone in like 60 seconds...

It sounds like there are too many PBY at Strong Island, eh?... lol - we might have to twiddle with that in the future. That Yamato movement was one of several "historical" moves in the mod now, so you just ruined history, good sir!

We are back to testing the airplanes tomorrow. s7rikeback has been hard at work going through the entire Roster. We'll put them through the ringer testing, and hopefully get ourselves a new loading graphic and get this next release out, then add to what the planes have - maybe... but most of them will now no longer seemingly ignore your boat, unless they have nothing left to throw at you. They don't really "ignore" you, but "fone home" and let others know that there is a sub in the area, which is why you sometimes do not see traffic. Also, a torpedo plane in v1 will do at least a 360° turn to scrub-off altitude to attack you, from about 6800-9200 yards out, depending upon if and when they see you. It might take them a while to come around again for the actual attack run. Then there is the radar reports you are getting - is it friendly, or is it enemy? If it's friendly, and happens to see one of the myriad Japanese submarines, or ships, on the surface, you might see the plane do some radical turns. They are "intelligent", remember?... which of course, is about as smart as I am... t'ain't very...
Ruined history?

I just came back from Eniwetok again ... 344,000 tonnes. DD, CA, CV, 2 Kongo and Yamato. DD chasing me about but due to poor weather and night time and going to 300 feet at flank then popping up 2000 yards away and firing again they haven't even got close with an ash can. There are not only Task Force in the Lagoon but outside it as well. 26 ships in one I counted.

It is like the Marianas Turkey shoot for submarines. Even when I miss I hit something lol.

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

merc4ulfate is offline   Reply With Quote