Old 01-01-20, 10:15 PM   #317
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by von Zelda View Post
propbeanie,
I went through the Japanese and merchant sections of the "Recognition Book" (not the Museum) to make a alphabetical list with draft measurements for myself.

I found what might be a duplication and/or error: the Light Cruiser Katori ASW with a draft of 18.7 feet vs. a Light Warship Katori w/scout planes with a draft of 34.4 feet. I believe the 34.4 foot draft if obviously wrong. Something minor you might wish to look into?

Update on my CTDs: My campaign is now on June 17th, 1944 patrolling area 4 just off the coast of Japan within a couple hundred nautical miles of Tokyo in a Gato sub. I've had no ships of any kind to deal with but numerous aircraft to evade. They either passed out of visual sight or we would dive to allow them to pass.

The very last aircraft (moments ago) was probably 10 to 15NM away, heading straight for me but not yet in visual range; I made a "Save" and then resumed the game to begin a dive. I watched its radar course on the Nav Map to see it make a very odd semi-circular 180-degree turn away from me. Too far away to have launched a torpedo or bomb. No other enemy aircraft had done this, and there have been many, maybe 50 plus encounters in this patrol area so far, but in none of the other encounters did I make a save. I immediately had a CTD as these thoughts crossed my mind. Well, maybe another clue to ponder? Any progress?
In the Support folder is a file "FotRSU - Equipment & Unit list.xlsx" which has a lot of the "assets'" info, but not the draft. In the next release will be a pdf with basically what the cfg files have in them for the ships "dimensions". Now, the game does not use most of those figures except in the RecMan, it uses the sim and other files for the "correct" data. This is one of RR's pet peeves that will stay, in that there was bad information, and there was misinformation, and there was missing information in the RecMans used back then, not forgetting to mention typoes - like 34 instead of 24 probably... There are also more than one Katori model in the mod, don't forget. One has planes, one has lots of depth charges. Lots. They are both slow though.

Like you did, it behooves a skipper to use his common sense when shooting at a ship. Most CL didn't have much as far as torpedo protection goes, so the target most likely would have had a 12-15 foot depth, impact pistol, set of torpedoes shot at it, except of course, in the first year of the war, or under Christie... - If CapnScurvy comes out of retirement and gives all an FotRSU OTC mod, then you will have the perfect RecMan, because it would be necessary for the mod to have such. Now, witness merc4ulfate below, and his haul on the last patrol... - he don't need no shteenking RecMan at ~all~...

Quote:
Originally Posted by merc4ulfate View Post
11 year old system

INTEL E2220 2.4GHz
8 Gig RAM
64 bit Windows 7
GeForce GTX 1050 2 GIG ram

Runs the game just fine. I can not recall opening the museum ever.

If I am not starting a new campaign then I'm just hitting Load.

Saw something weird today. I found a Task Force at Eniwetok Sept. '43. Yamato, Nagato, Fuso, CV several CA and DD. At night with a storm I took out the Yamato, Nagato and CV one DD and later a CA. The rough seas made it hard for them to hear me and their slow speed inside the atoll helped me circle them a few times at flank dropping fish into them.

That however was not the weird part.

After leaving and heading south I came across two large groups to the southwest and skies were peppered with USN planes from Strong Island. Over and Over PBY were machine gunning the shipping. I watched for a while and then took off for the first group.

It was also being attacked over and over from planes coming out of Strong island. It was an Ada Maru a huge Ocean Liner then another Ada Maru.

From 9000 yards and only one fish on the boat I fired at the Liner. Several minutes later I hit her stern and she blow up like I had hit her with a MOAB. BOTH ADA MARU blew up from her explosions. I didn't get credit for sinking them ... only credit for the liner. It really surprised me they sank from the liners explosion. I would say they were 500 yards ahead and astern of her.

After several resupplies from Talugi I am heading home with:

Merchants sunk 15
Warships sunk 6

318,000 + tonnes.
I "destroyed" a five ship convoy one time with one torpedo and a couple of planes - getting credit for just the one, but similar to what you did, I hit a ship carrying ammunition apparently, and they were all running away from an airplane attack, so were basically bunched together, almost running into each other. So when the ammunition ship went up, the nearby small merchant was also annihilated, and actually sank first. The explosions also ignited a nearby tanker (avgas??), which blew sky-high, and severely damaged the nearby fast freighter and the other ship, which were then finished off with more planes, before I could get my boat turned... Gone in like 60 seconds...

It sounds like there are too many PBY at Strong Island, eh?... lol - we might have to twiddle with that in the future. That Yamato movement was one of several "historical" moves in the mod now, so you just ruined history, good sir!

We are back to testing the airplanes tomorrow. s7rikeback has been hard at work going through the entire Roster. We'll put them through the ringer testing, and hopefully get ourselves a new loading graphic and get this next release out, then add to what the planes have - maybe... but most of them will now no longer seemingly ignore your boat, unless they have nothing left to throw at you. They don't really "ignore" you, but "fone home" and let others know that there is a sub in the area, which is why you sometimes do not see traffic. Also, a torpedo plane in v1 will do at least a 360° turn to scrub-off altitude to attack you, from about 6800-9200 yards out, depending upon if and when they see you. It might take them a while to come around again for the actual attack run. Then there is the radar reports you are getting - is it friendly, or is it enemy? If it's friendly, and happens to see one of the myriad Japanese submarines, or ships, on the surface, you might see the plane do some radical turns. They are "intelligent", remember?... which of course, is about as smart as I am... t'ain't very...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote