View Single Post
Old 04-06-08, 09:51 AM   #26
GlobalExplorer
Admiral

Downloads: 165
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins
Shows that the acrimony comes from Skyhawk and Global explorer, not the SH4 "loyalists." Having some ties both to SH4 and SH3 modders, let me lay it out in neutral terms:

1. Anyone who thinks the GWX team is just going to build the evil cross-compiler that ports everything they've done over to SH4 doesn't know the GWX team. They would never contemplate that at all! They are creative people. Creative people create new things, not duplicate old things. I am not saying that they won't use what they have already learned.
Unexperienced people start things they cannot finish. I bet 90% of all mods in the works at this moment will either not be finished, obsolete when they are released, unuseable or incomplete. Because people don't listen to advice, start with the easy things, start making things that have been done better before, dont team up, etc.

We are reaching a point where it sucks to find the mods that we will play in between the ones that we will never play (think of other games modded to death such as Morrowind or the TW series). I guess you need not look further if you want to know the reason for the success of GWX - it is a finished product, not just a young mans dream.

Before you interpret more into my owrds than necessary: I was only suggesting that it might be a good idea to write a program that ports over the campaign data from GWX to SHIV (and in my weak moments I have even considered doing that myself). Why not use the quality we have from SHIII as a base and start the real work on top of it? No, of course, creative people are so awesome they know it's better to always start everything from scratch! Believe me dude, I've seen this enough in software projects, and it's one of the main reasons for lack of quality and direction in software products.

And before I get accused of acrimony again, I am looking forward to play any Atlantic mod for SHIV, no matter how it was created or by who.