Old 08-24-21, 04:06 PM   #3788
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491
Uploads: 0

SHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Let's re-visit this again. If you're still wondering 2DarkWolf2, this can also occur after Saving a game. I had forgotten about this scenario until yesterday, while testing a new mission / War Patrol for the next release. To summarize, I had obtained a couple of sonar contacts while on the surface in the middle of a heavy storm, with very limited visibility. After chasing the contacts for a bit, it was determined that there were no warships with them, so we stayed on the surface for the chase & attack. Our boat did not have radar, so we had no way to determine range, but going by a sonar range ping, we were somewhere around 1200 yards off their port bows, so we turned toward them to shoot torpedoes. While turning, we got a report from the Watch of "Ship spotted! Bearing 355 close range!" and with that, I could see gun flashes through the rain while on the bridge. Crash dive was ordered, but we were in so close, they couldn't help but hit us once before we got under. As we're going under, of course, a huge explosion is heard and "We're taking damage, sir!" and the usual water spraying sound. At PD and after firing at the first ship's shadow in the rain (the 2nd was still not visible), we went and checked damages. The after torpedo room was compromised with bulkhead damage and flooding, all crew members wounded, some worse than others, but none "dead". We were still able to maintain depth just fine, so we attacked the 2nd ship then, which had turned to run away. We surfaced to chase from a "safe" distance this time, and put the damage control team to work. After finishing off the 2nd merchant, we continued on our journey to the assigned patrol area, still making repairs and patching the holes, dressing the wounded, etc. or whatever it is that the game simulates. Hours later, RL calls and I have to leave the game and do RL stuff, but repairs are not completed, and the wounded are still in that state. But I Saved the game and exited. Several hours later, RL attended to and I have time to "test" further, I reload that Saved game. Upon entering the game, I hear a huge explosion, like a shell had just hit our boat, and as I move to the exterior view (I am "testing", after all ), I see a huge plume of flame and smoke off the aft of the boat, and then smoke and steam from the after quarters, along with the earlier "We're taking damage, sir!" message. We had 100% of the same previous damage when the merchant first holed us. All of the "wounded" were injured at the same level as when the shell first hit. That is the game mechanics. If your boat has damage, or you have wounded, no matter how far along the "repair" cycle you might be, if it is not completely repaired, you will have that same damage when you re-enter the game. In my case, the bulkhead and leaks showed as a four hour repair time, and I had to leave after only two hour's worth was completed, When I re-entered the game, I was back to the same four hours time frame. The wounded were the same way, only it takes days for them to recover, and they sometimes do not make it back. Leave it to me though, to turn a short story long...
+1 propbeanie...

Is also a point I made right after 2DarkWolf2's post... among a couple of other instances of possibilities...

M. M.