Thread: Steve's Models
View Single Post
Old 01-23-13, 09:26 PM   #35
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

This was a big job. Many years ago I kitbashed an AEG B.II, a German 2-seater so early that it wasn't even armed. During the couple of years I didn't game at all I left my stuff with Rocky for anyone to use. The whole tail section of this one was broken off and gone. I wasn't looking forward to building a new one from scratch, and as it turned out I didn't have to. When I got my case full of models home and took them all out, I found the tailpiece stuck in the foam rubber under another plane. It was still a big job. I had to mount some brass rod inside the fuselage to make sure it didn't happen again, then glue the whole thing back together. The tail as it was would't fit over the rod, so I had to cut away the bottom and sides and mount the top to the rods, then build new sides and bottom, new tail supports and a new tail skid.

In spite of the repairs the model is still pretty hammered from years of abuse. What can I say? It's a wargaming toy.

Here is a front view, showing the wire wheels and radiators. The wheels were purchased in a store at the time, and the radiators are brass wire wrapped around a piece of plastic and given a black wash.

From the rear quarter you can see the observer standing in the back, holding a carbine. Our game even has rules for shooting rifles.