View Single Post
Old 04-10-15, 06:41 AM   #1468
PaulB
Watch

Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

I have recently got back into the SH series. Back in the day I wasn't even aware of the mods (except for Project Messerwetzer for SHII/DC).

In stock form, SH5 is by far the worst of them, but this mod makes it a worthwhile experience. SH3 probably has the best atmosphere (particularly with GWX), but SH5 can be quite good too.

I have only one question about deck gun operations. I have read that in vanilla SH, it is supposed to work in one of two ways:
1. manually, by walking up to it, manning it and firing it yourself
2. by commanding the crew to man it and then selecting a target through binoculars (pressing space to lock the target). In older SH you could also select the deck gun target through UZO/Periscope (L button lock), as I recall.

Obviously the mods remove the 'break/lock target' indicator, not so sure if they also remove the function itself as at least through one of the officers, it is possible to follow the currently sighted contact horizontally.

So the question........how do I get my crew to fire at a target automatically? I have given them instructions to man the gun, fire at nearest ship, fire at will, and aim at waterline....and they're not firing. The ship is dead ahead at 600 m....

I'm either doing something wrong or haven't found the relevant piece of info in the mod manuals.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.