View Single Post
Old 11-24-13, 04:48 PM   #4497
nataraj
Watch

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 0

Finished my third patrol today. 23 days at sea, none of my crew injured (except Gustav, who fell off a bunk while playing cards).

Learned a lot.

My first huge convoy. I lay there waiting already. Too late to run away when sonar guy went: Warship spotted, warship spotted, ... ugh. Depth 25m, engines off, silent running. Took 3 hours for the convoy to pass over me and be gone. I used the free cam and saw: Black Swan, Southampton, Black Swan, Submarine. Lesson: do sound checks from 15-20 km away.

Wasted 2 and spent another two (yes, that's four !) torpedoes to sink a humble Small Tanker. Reviewed my strategy and adopted a totally different approach: go in front unseen and wait. Aim. Then kill. Worked great. I put my other torpedoes to good use, so consider those wasted torpedoes well spent on my learning curve.

After 14 days, a small freighter and that small tanker was all I had in my bag.

Then: "Enemy Convoy". Did she say: "large"? No. Let's take a look.
Sound check reveals merchants and a warship. Hm. Only one? Let's go.
I took the destroyer out first. At 25m depth so the cargoes would not hit me. Silent running. No periscope, only hydrophone bearings. 2 Torpedoes. 600m. AoB 90°. He never saw it coming. Destroyer went down 3 minutes after being hit.

After that, no more warships. But a small freighter destroyed my flak and attack periscope when he rammed me. Used all torpedoes except one aft torp, and all my deck gun ammo. Came back with:

Ships sunk: 12
Aircraft destroyed: 0
Patrol tonnage: 47573 tons

full log here(as .pdf)

Now what? give out medals and qualification. To whom? I have 5 officers
Gun/Torp
Watch
Repair
Machinist
Helmsman

and petty officers with Machinist, Torpedo (3 each), plus Radio, Watch, Flak (one each).

I have no idea what to "buy" with my renown. Keep it for the promotion? Get a new sub (why?), better equipment (what?).

Guess I'll just go to the Kit-Kat Club and spend the night with a Fräulein They like my ... uniform.

OLt zS Helmut

Last edited by nataraj; 11-24-13 at 05:41 PM. Reason: careful analysis of the message log revealed that I used four (and not 3) torpedoes on one small tanker. shame.
nataraj is offline   Reply With Quote