View Single Post
Old 11-17-13, 03:27 PM   #4488
nataraj
Watch

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 0

Oh, definitely, I'll put up a fight if it can't be avoided.

But my first analysis really was about cost/benefit in PICKING a fight with - say - a lone airplane. I looked into lots of .cfg files to find out what the renown values are for those ships I might encounter in fall of 1939. While I'm at it, I also put together "museum" shots and "Erkennungshandbuch" pages, because I cannot yet recognize the ships at all ... if any newbies like me are interested, the document is here (2,5 MB - Merchant ships only): http://helmut.saueregger.at/gamereso...chants1939.pdf
If I read the files correctly, a Sunderland airplane gives 70 renown which puts it into the same category as Small Merchant, Small Freighter, Tramp Steamer. Hm, I think I would not waste a torpedo on a Small Freighter for 70 renown... would I kill a Flak-qualified Petty Officer for possible 70 renown ? Definitely not. "Those are all mistakes, Otto. I looked them up."

So, back to the question: how late is too late to dive? And: how much time can I spend looking around - find the plane, guess the distance, think ... - If my guys spot the plane 9 km away, that's 5nm. A plane approaching at 100kn needs 3 minutes to reach us, from 4.5km away only 1.5 minutes. To dive to 20-25 m, how long? one minute? Two? The window for the decision to dive or stand seems to be very narrow ... Like "Q" said in one of the Bond movies: "always have an escape plan" My plan is yet in very bad shape!
nataraj is offline   Reply With Quote