View Single Post
Old 11-17-13, 04:28 AM   #4486
nataraj
Watch

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Knot View Post
Be careful. It's a U-Boat, not an anti-aircraft cruiser.
How true ...

In preparation for my next patrol, I did the Naval Academy flak training. Again - or so I thought. This time it was completely different. When I first played that training during my first days with SH3 (stock), it was just that: an exercise to learn the icons/commands, use the flak myself(find F11, find Tab key, push space bar, miss, miss, ... reload, ) Nothing special.

This time (GWX and SHC), it was pure hell. Died after 5 minutes. Not just me ... ALL of us died, and fast. How can they do that during training? Slaughter their cadets, and not just them, kill shiploads of seamen, sink an expensive UBoot - just for the "exercise"? Hm ...

But ... I did learn. Another training in hell: Full speed, rudder max port, target bombers first, double click on damage control in F7 screen, replace dead flak gunner, rinse repeat. Downed 7 of these murderous planes, then my gunner kept shooting at a damaged plane that went in circles until he ran out of ammo.

So, all in all, a valuable lesson: three flak gunners lost, 7 planes down. Which means, I just COULD stand against a single incoming aircraft without too many losses, but then: is it WORTH it? What exactly is the benefit of staying surfaced, exposed, vulnerable - only for the CHANCE of shooting one stupid plane that will have radioed my position anyway ?

Considering I get nice renown for spending 2-3 torpedoes on an 8-10k t merchant, why bother with the enemy planes at all? Kicks, ok I understand that. But in a war and with 50 men aboard, I strongly doubt that commanders would be expected to take that risk without very good reason.

I guess my default tactics would be to dive and do a turn unless he's already throwing his bombs at me.
nataraj is offline   Reply With Quote