View Single Post
Old 06-07-23, 04:48 AM   #1
Van den Aalen
Nub

Downloads: 2958
Uploads: 0
Default SH4 Gold & Win10 - Double-Saved-Game-Folder-Trouble

Ahoi Mates!

1. First a short introduction: I am long-time reader, but first-time poster on this forum. I anchor near the beerquator in the south of Germany.

2. My installation facts:

I have the german version of the Silent Hunter 4 Gold (including u-boat missions) in this partition/folder installed:

F:/SH4/

It is the DVD-Version - NOT THE STEAM VERSION! I have Windows 10 running on my Samsung Galaxy Book Flex2 machine.

My Problem: the game runs smoothly but it freezes always when saving a game in harbour or at sea. Sometimes starting a new voyage hangs the game, too. There are no Windows blue screens. The task manager can be run in background after the freeze, but cannot be activated and so the game cannot be killed. But I can reboot.
The trouble exist with a TMO2.5 modded game as well with a fresh installed, unmodded SH4 installation.

My analysis so far: it must be a conflict in savedgame-folder setting. Normally SH4 shall save all saved games into C:/USERS/USERNAME/Documents/SH4/data/cfg/... But on my machine it tries to operate two folders at the same time:

C:/USERS/USERNAME/Documents/SH4/data/cfg/... AND
F:/SH4/data/cfg/... (yepp, the folder which contains Main.cfg, CrewAI.cfg and all these files - the game saves the saved game files there, too).

I tried to remedy this by finding the culpit, which makes the game behave like this. But in vain...

My question: Do You know, how to tell the game NOT to use folder F:/SH4/data/cfg/... but folder C:/USERS/USERNAME/Documents/SH4/data/cfg/... ONLY for saved games, please? Maybe a script-file solution may help to run the game properly?

All the best!

van den Aalen

(p.s. the funny thing is, on my ole' WinXP machine I never experienced something like this! Unfortunately that machine has ended its lifespan recently. And this fact is the reason why I installed the game on my Samsung Galaxy Book Flex2 with Win 10).

(p.p.s. When I try to multish to a different folder, the folder structure is created twice as well:
C:/USERS/USERNAME/Documents/... AND
F:/)

Last edited by Van den Aalen; 06-07-23 at 06:02 AM.
Van den Aalen is offline   Reply With Quote