View Single Post
Old 12-05-22, 06:27 PM   #49
Gwenydd
verrückt kaleun

Downloads: 143
Uploads: 2

Default Specifications and add-ons on my U-96

For anybody who is interested here are the pertinent specs on my boat:

Kit: Arkmodel 1/48 scale German Type VIIC U-boat purchased from Arkmodel on Amazon. This kit was specifically designed for radio control.

Length = 55 inches
Height from bottom of keel to top of conning tower = approx. 8.5"
Beam = approx 6"
Weight of completed model with WTC, battery, and all equipment for running installed = approximately 12 lbs. (this is my estimate. I'll actually weigh it later)
Ballast tank volume=56.55 cubic inches, equivalent to 2.039 pounds of water at 70 degrees F
Propellers are brass 1/48 scale Type VIIC props purchased from Nautilus Drydocks.

Watertight Cylinder built for me by Nautilus Drydocks. Includes 1 electric motor and gearbox to drive two propellers, 4 servos (2 forward and 2 aft) plus additional servo for ballast vent valve, two ballast air pumps, and a gas charged pressurized cylinder for emergency ballast blow in case of loss of radio signal or if manually commanded.

The on-board battery pack is a 3300 MAH LIPO.

I have added the following additional devices to provide more functionality to the sub:

AD2 Automatic Pitch Controller Board from Nautilus Drydocks. This controller board automatically controls the aft dive planes to keep the boat in a level attitude unless overridden by manual input to the aft dive planes from the radio.

Depth Cruiser controller board from Nautilus Drydocks. This board automatically maintains the last depth of the boat commanded by the radio using the forward dive planes. It has an on-board pressure sensor that precisely measures the ambient water pressure and moves the foward dive planes to maintain that pressure until overridden by radio input to the forward planes.

BLM Battery Link Monitor from Nautilus Drydocks. This board monitors the charge level of the battery as well as the strength of the signal received from the radio transmitter. If the battery level drops below a certain preset point the boat will automatically surface. Also if the radio control signal is lost for more than a preset length of time (I have it set to 5 seconds) the boat will automatically surface by blowing the tank with the emergency gas cylinder.

My radio system is a 6-channel 75mzh radio from Vex Robotics. These were designed for home-built robots etc. and put out a good strong signal. They work very well for sub models since modern high frequency radios cannot transmit a signal of sufficient strength through water.

All-totalled I would estimate I have spent approximately $2000 USD to build this boat and for the radio system it uses.

Last edited by Gwenydd; 12-05-22 at 08:22 PM.
Gwenydd is offline   Reply With Quote