View Single Post
Old 05-27-23, 02:13 PM   #198
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
Seems to me the authors of that article are making out to be worse than what is because they were not operating the vehicle properly and were the ones placing themselves and others in jeopardy. If people rely on the medias expectations of how a Tesla is supposed to operate then they will eventually be the cause of an accident.

Owner/operators of these cars need to read the owners manual and accept full responsibility for its operation.

From Tesla X MODEL owners manual. I presume others have the same warnings.
Too many incidents were the car suddenly got a life of its own, jump-started/accelerated from stop, slammed in the brakes while cruising. Add to that that "exciting" behaviour when turning into bends of a country road.

If the driver must all the time sit fully alarmed and hands ready to grab the wheel any second, and even then the car may suddenly play catch-me-if-you-can with the gas or break pedals, the the whole concept of autonomous driving imho is simply lead ad absurdum.

Musk knows this. He once said something like if Teslas cannot reliably fully autonomously drive, they are not more than totally overpriced gimmicks, something like that he said.

I also have a problem with the huge lossm of value. An e-car grows old the monent the battery is build into it, becasue the batteries always age, even if not use,d even if use,d even if kept ion storage unde rmost ideal conditions and with most ideal chargign status for storage. That thing looses on the maximum of power it cna hold, a tiny bit, but every day every hour. I know it from my e-bike batteries, the effect is real, you do not ntoice it form one month to the next, but you see a mild delcine in capacity form one yera to the next, and a much more obvious delcine form one year to the second or third next. Its cemistry you cannot avoid it. Even a lead-acid battery of old school technology sees this effect, though here it is extremely small.

Try to resell a lets say 6 or 8 years old e-car and not loosing an awful lot of money.

Considering all these implications and problems, e-cars imo are neither sustainable, nor cost-economic or rational. And I bet real money that in twnety years fossil fueld cars still drive in most parts of the world, maybe with the exception of Europe. Globally, there are just too many contexts, surroundings and situations where an -ecar simply bogs you down and does not provide the pragmatic 24/7 mobility that you expect from a car.