View Single Post
Old 05-02-08, 10:36 PM   #6
JScones
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philipp_Thomsen
Sound is a key for imersion. Try to play SH3 in MUTE and you'll see what I mean. And sound is heavy, there's no way around it. You can compress a campaign file to less then 500 kb, but you can't compress a sound of the uboat interior ambient to less then 10 mb, and that's not only on sound packs, but also in GWX. How much do you think GWX 2.0 files weigth on sound? Like I said, no way around it. Besides, what is 200mb? Its a 10 minute download... Maybe a little more... Sound and graphics are everything, they are the only two feedbacks on what's going on. If you have amazing image but poor sound, you have half a game, and there's no use arguing that. You said you don't care about sound becouse GWX already comes with a very nice selection of sound effects, so there's no point on going after more. BUT, for most of people, sound is crucial, it's 50%, so if you are improving the game's graphical part, why not the sound?

I know you were just making a point here, not attacking me or other sound makers. And I'm also making a point here, defending my ground. From my point of view, there's no MORE IMPORTANT and LESS IMPORTANT... Everything is important, when we are talking about the game we love. So the most rich I can get my SH3 installation, the better. You can't mod to please everyone, that's impossible, so what uber gruber is trying to do it to please some (any) part of this community, and I think that's a very valid attempt. If you can please only one person, then this is already worth it.

Go for it, uber!
And this is exactly my point - highlighting to UG that his venture is very much open to subjectivity, and that needs to be weighed against both the sustainability of the mod and the number of people that will benefit from it, both short term and long term. I won't benefit from it, and I am stating so, as requested. UG can consider or dismiss my opinion as he wishes and in conjunction with everyone else's that posts here. In the end it's his choice; I won't be offended. Nor will I preach to anyone who has an opinion different to mine.

I'll leave it there, but I will reassure you that my comments were not an attack on you or the work of any sound modder in any way. I simply don't consider sound as important to me as other aspects of the game; at least not beyond what GWX already provides which is more than acceptable for me. With this in mind, I am not even cognisant of your work, so how could I pass judgment on it?
JScones is offline   Reply With Quote