View Single Post
Old 05-02-08, 09:05 PM   #3
JScones
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber Gruber
10. Racerboy's Exhaust Mod (god rest his absent soul)
Why? Has he passed away or something? :hmm:

Re your idea, not bad, but a few initial thoughts.

1. I'd be against including GWX2.1. It's already a nice encapsulated d/l which I have and besides, the likelihood that the GWX team would agree to their product being bundled with non-GWX created mods is quite unlikely...and totally understandable.

2. The selections, while being perhaps the most popular, are still very subjective. Sounds don't concern me, so if I'm d/l a 200mb file with 150mb of sound files alone, I'm not gonna do it. I'm assuming here that #7 will make up the bulk of the d/l footprint, so correct me if I am wrong. Of course, those that like the sounds may have a different opinion, thus meeting an assumed Pareto principle that you'd apply in determining the feasibility of the project that you are considering. But looking at it, if any one aspect of your uber mod is going to take up the majority of the mod, you need to really consider the implications and restrictions that this might provide.

Other than that, I think your selections are well chosen. But here's a scenario - you haven't noticed that #5 is actually included in #3, so it's not needed. But what happens when/if Rubini updates his water stream mod? Will OLC update his mod? Either way, will you then release a full updated pack for d/l? Again, if sound files make up 150mb of a 200mb d/l, do you think anyone will d/l the full pack again for what is essentially a few 100kb change? And players who "must have it now", won't wait anyway, meaning that your idea becomes a short term proposition, essentially ending as soon as any one of the mods is updated.

Perhaps I'm the wrong market for your question - your idea really should be pitched to those that have none of its inclusions, because those of us who have GWX 2.1 will also have most of the extras anyway (an intuitive call here, based simply on the popularity of the associated release threads), so won't be in a hurry to d/l it all again, especially with the ongoing development and enhancement to some of the proposed included mods.

Anyway, I'm not wanting to sound negative or critical, just wanting to provide some constructive food for thought. Good luck!
JScones is offline   Reply With Quote