View Single Post
Old 05-09-09, 08:48 AM   #74
Paul Riley
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 163
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaldLarsen View Post
Keep on surfacing after 30 minutes and I will lay an even money bet that, unless there is a change in the weather to medium or heavy fog, or you manage to get outside of maximum range of aircraft coverage, you will be sunk before 12:00 NOV 2. With your current approach, you have been averaging one attacking aircraft per hour. (When you say "multiple" aircraft, I assume an average of 3.) As long as you keep surfacing so quickly, this will continue. If there is only a 1% chance that any given aircraft attack will sink you, then you have a less than 50% chance of surviving 69 consecutive aircraft attacks. At your current rate, that 69th attack will occur the morning of NOV 2.

You are averaging about 12.5km/h. In the next three days you can cover about 900km and endure about 72 aircraft attacks, or one attacking aircraft per 12.5 km.

If you dive for 24 hours, run at 1.9 knots on improved batteries (you have upgraded your batteries, haven't you?), then recharge for one hour at 10 knots, you will average just over 4km/h. Even if you are attacked by an average of two aircraft after an hour of charging (on average this will not happen) you will average less than one attacking aircraft per 50 km.

So, by resurfacing every 30 minutes you are subjecting yourself to over 4 times the rate of attacking aircraft per kilometre travelled.

If you are not detected during your first 1 hour recharge then you can switch to a schedule of recharging for one hour after dawn and again for one hour before dusk, submerged at 2.9 knots during the day, and 1.9 knots during the night. This yields an average speed of 5.5 km/h. Doing this you will be attacked by an average of two aircraft, less than once every day. This gives an average of less than one attacking aircraft per 66km, less than 1/5 your current rate of attacks. Of course, once you are attacked, you should submerge for 24 hours.
Multiple aircraft usually means at least 3,sometimes an entire formation of fighters,or bombers,at least it looks like there are that many.I don't normally hang around long enough to count them.If they are bombers I will DEFINITELY dive at the shortest possible moment,as our guns currently have no effect on them,and if I get caught by fighters (usually when very close to the French coast) I may decide to fight back,then dive.I dive for about 1 hour now,before I would surface about every 30mins.It will take them about an hour to return,and just to come back again will surely piss the pilots off.

I really don't mind having to dive every hour or so,just as long as I get under quick enough,and even minimal damage can be repaired.Sooner or later,I will be out of the gauntlet,as before I have done.The slightest cloud cover and I dive for much longer,24 hours at least.

I have the latest batteries yes.

Its like a game of Russian Roulette,but I have the war gods on my side
Paul Riley is offline   Reply With Quote