View Single Post
Old 02-13-22, 10:25 PM   #4387
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Thanks for the date detailing. Very helpful... The main problem is probably the early command upgrade where you got the Balao in July of 1943 at Tulagi. It has "AvailabilityInterval= 1943-08-01, 1943-10-01", when it then transfers to Milne Bay, with "AvailabilityInterval= 1943-10-01, 1944-05-17", where it then transfers to Manus Island. The missions are set though, that you do not crash or get retired with the early boat, and that really does not seem like it should mess anything else up along the way. However, we also do not have a "new paint scheme" in FotRSU. The paint should change with a conning tower change, and that should be the prompt, but we might be pointing to the wrong menu.txt entry... I don't think we even have a Measure 32 in the UpgradePackSlots... If the game is calling that "logic" somewhere with the Balao, that might be the problem... A very slight possibility is the going from a Gato boat with its bow mount, to the Balao, with its stern mount, and then the game getting confused... Sad thing is, the "upgraded gun slot" and losing of crew positions has been with SH4 since March of 2007 when it was released. Each update they released had a "fix" for the issue, and yet it remains to this day. Something goes wrong in the Save file, and "poof!" the gun slots are among the first things to be lost.

We will dig into this though, because this is the first time I have ever heard of it happening this way. The "upgrading" issue from a 4 to 5 inch gun is well documented, but that paint change message is definitely new. Now for some questions:
1. Did you get a conning tower upgrade when the paint scheme changed? It would look the same as the first, with slight improvements to some of the "slots" for future radar upgrades, but the only noticeable difference would be going from Measure 9 black to Measure 32 grey.
2. Had you removed the deck gun crew prior to buying the new gun? If not, and you lost the slots, were the slots for the Damage Team filled back the way they were? In other words, did you lose the crew men, along with the slots?
3. Other than the loss of the gun crew slots, all else seems to function as intended then?
4. Can you zip-up your Save folder again, and PM me a link to it, so that I can attempt to follow the sequence of events in it? There is a "NewColetrainsAndOthersDGfix.pdf" file in the Support / HowTo folder, and it has some relatively detailed instructions for recovery from this, with several examples of what you might find, especially in the newer "New and Improved FotRSU Way" on Page 3 and following. You could do that before or after linking to the Save folder, if you do, since you have a couple of Saves with the condition.
Thanks.
I do have the Save File I took immediately after the Paint Scheme Change. I'll try to figure out tomorrow how to best get it to you. It might be via email.

Re: your questions:
1. I did not notice any change in the Conning Tower after the paint scheme change, but then I wasn't looking for any. The Conning Tower and the hull are the lighter gray now. The deck is the darker gray.
2. I did not lose any crewmembers, only the deck gun slots. I keep my gun crews on the Damage Control Team and only move them to a gun when I need them there. I did not change the deck gun in any way. It was a 4.5" Stern Mount before the paint change, and
is the same now. By the way, the deck gun is there in the stern position, and I can and have used it, but being the only person who can man it makes it almost useless in value.
3. Everything else functions as usual. The AA guns and gunners are quite effective (2 single Bofors).
4. I'll get the Save File to you tomorrow if all goes well here.

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote