View Single Post
Old 07-19-22, 01:03 PM   #170
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapuhy View Post
Last time I tried the light from these illuminated parts disappeared at LOD switch range, but I might recheck that as m memory is fuzzy on details.
Do guns disappear at LOD distance? If they do, light equipment will disappear as well. If not, I don't see why they should behave in a different way than any other equipment. Depending on their size and on screen resolution they might become so small that the game won't render them, but this is not LOD-related.

Quote:
The problem is not just LOD models although their scrapping would solve a lot of issues. What I fear is situation where single brightly colored neutral ship wanders into vicinity of huge Allied convoy and all ships in the convoy decide to use "neutral" skin (this happens if neutral ship is a clone of regular "grey" merchants or vice versa).
Yes, that's a known game limit. SH5 loads only one "copy" of each 3D model at any given time. If different versions of the same unit are rendered at the same time, all of them will display the same texture. I can't say whether the same applies to equipment though.

Confusing an allied or axis vessel for a neutral one would be somehow acceptable. As we have seen in my thread on wartime ship colors, vessels of many neutral countries sailed within allied convoys while still retaining peacetime colors or even neutrality markings (and they were considered valid targets by the Germans). Likewise, many German blockade-runners disguised themselves as neutral vessels, so again some confusion might even be realistic.
On the other hand, confusing a neutral vessel for an allied one might lead to some very bad outcomes, as destroying one of them will result in a renown penalty and even to CTDs. The one solution for avoiding that, is having two "physical" copies of the very same ships if we plan to use them both on the allied/axis and on the neutral side.

Quote:
I made a thread on the subject some time ago - never managed to solve it:

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=250744

This happens to any of my ships I try to make multiple AO maps for (diffuse textures work fine).
Weird. Does that apply only to minesweepers? Have you tried if switching unit type solves the problem?
gap is offline   Reply With Quote