View Single Post
Old 04-10-10, 12:46 PM   #17
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Downloads: 236
Uploads: 14

OP reminded me. I play as often as I check down here for posts which isn't often enough.

In my opinion SHCE has never been equaled - however the pretty graphics of SH4 have even won me over. I do miss the historical accuracy of the different boat classes but that can be 'fixed'. Also, IMO the radars & TDC are much better in SHCE. Capital ships do not appear in-game after they were sunk in real life. For example in SHCE after Oct-44 you won't find a SHOKAKU CV and after Jun-42 there are no KAGA, AKAGI, or SORYU CV's.

SSI had "Bud" Gruner - a WW II submarine captain as a consultant when SH1 was created and it appears they tried to make SH1 close to the real thing. Once Hawk made his utilities, SH1 - SHCE was almost right on. Kim Rønhof furthered Hawks original work to put the frosting on the cake with his utilities but by then the 3d games had really taken over and there were very few of "us" left.

The SMK movies from the SHCE CD can still be viewed with a Smacker movie viewer so there are about 30 min of Buds reassuring voice explaining submarine operations in the Pacific Theatre that apply to SH4.

I try to mod my SH4 install to perform like SHCE (as if with Kim's & Hawks utilities installed too). I wish the Dev's had sunk a year into playing SHCE before making SH4 or had a team member that had - who had more input. Of course the folks at headquarters want a product so the Dev's did the best job they could and fortunately they made SH4 very easy to mod.

All in all SH1 - SHCE had and has a big impact on me and my style of playing even though I don't play often enough.

Happy Hunting!

Art
Protect each one we ask of thee.
Bless those at home who wait and pray,
For their return by night and day."

aanker is offline   Reply With Quote