View Single Post
Old 06-28-21, 08:58 PM   #73
FireDragon76
Bosun

Downloads: 111
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by BungoJungo View Post

I've noticed when you begin an encounter, if you don't spot surface ships within the first 10 secs or so, there's already a salvo of torpedos coming your way. So you have to individually click each ship, click "Break", throttle full, and hard rudder port or starboard each time. Then, send your destroyers to the area where the torps look to have originated from.

Victory at Sea has automatic torpedo evasion, and does a good job at least trying to avoid these kinds of long distance torpedo attacks. In the current build of War on the Sea, on the other hand, ships can barely avoid hitting each other most of the time. And that, as you note, adds up to alot of unnecessary micromanagement.

Alot of Killerfishes games are like this, though, strategy games with too many "sim" features implemented poorly. It's a bit schizophrenic. Sims are sims, and strategy games are strategy games, and the two don't generally mix well in terms of gameplay without having a great deal of ingenuity behind it.

Quote:
I always seem to have a sea state of 5, so I rush my destroyers to where I think the torps originated and immediately throttle back to <10kn. Sometimes, I even set it around 3 kn if I get desperate. You are correct and that you need to zoom out and look for the shadow of the sub yourself as your crew is absolutely blind and the sonar absolutely sucks.
Occasionally you do get lucky and I have sank a few subs doing something similar, but without plotting tools it's difficult to stay oriented on the map.

Quote:
So basically, my strategy has been keep a bunch of subs in rotation, lone wolf style. I was able to sink a Yamato class this way with a single sub and some creative use of the fore and aft torpedo tubes.

My convoys I use to level up my bases and such are basically just some C3's, a Cimarron, and maybe 3-4 destroyers. I've found the Japanese subs much more dangerous to my convoys than any sort of massed fleet in the early game so far.
That does seem like an appropriate strategy early in the game. Alot of Guadalcanal's action involved small vessels, subs, and air power. Ships are fun, but unless you have a decisive edge, the results are predictable and its mostly down to attrition at high cost.

Later in the game, the AI will start pulling out battleships and massing them (sometimes two at a time) into large task forces that could slaughter your convoys. You're going to need subs, air power, or a task force to stop them- the destroyers won't be able to protect your convoys.

Quote:
P.S. If the US torpedo "dud" rate is historically accurate, I feel for our sailors. It's insane how many duds I've seen so far!
If anything, it's probably a bit too conservative in the use of duds. US torpedoes early in the war were poor, full of duds and not having alot of explosive power. On the other hand, the Japanese torpedoes were generally very good, reliable weapons with alot of explosive power.
FireDragon76 is offline   Reply With Quote