View Single Post
Old 12-29-21, 07:28 AM   #120
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapuhy View Post
I will check it out, but for now I decided to first focus on importing complete models. See, modeling is fun, seeing your ship in game is fun, but process of placing countless bones in proper positions is rather tedious, as a result I have growing number of finished models that wait for import
I totally understand.

In case you get time for it, you might also try the object_pendulum controller or a combination of object_pendulum and object_float.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapuhy View Post
Perhaps a way to make it turn turret-like to follow the wind while ship turns would be better
Yes, you could set sail, boom and gaff as a fake rudder, in which case they would turn slightly when your boat changes course, and they would return in their original position once the boat is the on the new route. Alternatively, you could exploit this patch by TDW for making the sail to always follow the apparent wind direction (real wind + boat motion). The latter method might be more realistic in some circumstances, but it might also lead to totally unrealistic outcomes at certain wind angles (a sail can only turn 180 deg, whereas the wind can come from all the directions; see the following drawing)

Both methods should be compatible with mesh animations. There is another important drawback inherent to both methods though. As you can see from the drawing above, the sail convexity changes when wind and sail turn from port to starboard and vice-versa. You can choose your sails to have the right convexity fo either side or, through keyframe animation, you can make the convex side to change randomly, but you can't make the sail to flip appropriately, according to its rotation.
gap is offline   Reply With Quote