View Single Post
Old 05-22-09, 03:02 AM   #195
Leandros
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 17
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Birdseye View Post
It's amazing what you can find out in the open seas!

I found a tribal class destroyer on her own patrolling the eastern mouth of the channel. This was 1939. As you know, the depth there isn't so great. So it was a fight to the death.

Shot two torps off and dived to 20m, praying for some mercy. One was faulty, the other a beauty shot straight into her ammo compartment, and she went up like a bonfire.
There are destroyers all over the place - particularly around the UK coast. It is just to find a central spot and they come to you - they are seemingly part of a fixed patrol pattern, using the same lanes all the time. The trick is to observe the route of one, then move cautiously over there and wait for the next one. Lay still and use the scope sparingly. 700-1500 meters range and you cannot miss. Use TIII's and they never know what hit them.

Once I positioned myself outside the Lerwick sub base. Five destroyers passed in front of our forward tubes within a couple of days. Because the water was so shallow one could see their masts sticking up (Union Jack waving) only a few hundred meters apart........

.....and Black Swans.....

Last edited by Leandros; 05-22-09 at 03:30 AM.
Leandros is offline   Reply With Quote