Thread: [REL] Dark Waters
View Single Post
Old 08-26-22, 03:19 PM   #1609
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 436
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostedflaker View Post
Imagine my surprise when, patrolling off the American coast during Drumbeat and finding an aircraft bearing down on me, the air contact turned out to be a blimp! Excellent job on the K Class Airship, very cool.

I thought it would circle and then take off but I should have known they can sit over you all day. I had to surface and shoot it with my deck (not flak!) gun. One of the most enjoyable encounters I've had playing Silent Hunter.

e: Unusual problem: I somehow managed to limp all the way back to Lorient from the eastern seaboard with a critically flooded control room, all three watches of the deck crew KIA, severe damage to nearly everything. I had to shoot it out with the RAF all the way through Biscay. Absolute white knuckle thrills.

However, I suppose because there is no hull damage, my sub was not declared a write-off! I'd really like to take this chance to move to the IXB or IXC (Aug 42), all things considered. Additionally, when I try to hire new watch officers it says my sub has too many already. There are also not enough sailors in Lorient to replace all the crews. What do you recommend doing? I am not above tinkering with a save, I just don't know how in this instance.

I've attached the save. I figure if the hull damage is above 75 they'll give me a new boat upon entering port as in stock? Otherwise, maybe if someone could show me how to edit the save so I can start at the dock with a new sub, moving over my decorated and experienced crew to the new Type IX B/C?

https://www.mediafire.com/file/06wdj...ackup.upc/file
let's cover the last one first.
i am not sure anyone would recommend tinkering with a mission file while you are on the missions in order to simulate hull damage and expect that SH4 would properly detect it and react the way you want it to. that is more dangerous than the Bay of Biscay. so, if you want a different sub with your same crew, it can be done. just search for that work-around in the DW thread.
it's not hard but you DO have to pay close attention to what you are doing.

now, the dearth of replacement crews.
have you tried grabbing the seamen on the leftside panel and assigning them to your crew, exiting SH4, relaunching SH4, and then returning to the crew screen? you should receive another group of potential crew.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote