View Single Post
Old 11-24-18, 08:59 AM   #31
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Two things, Neal.

First, VR nausea is for most people an issue that can be trained to lower it. When you say 15 minutes currently is your limit, play 10, and then slowly increase the time from session to session. Your brain needs time to adapt, apparently, and it most likely will. I have read that people who could not stand it at all, after some weeks, three or four, could play an hour, and longer.

Second, FPS imo are one of the worst choices for first time VR experiences. All that hopping and jumping, and then the high velocity angle speeds when dodging to the side. You know it from car driving, if you feel ill, you best look ahead to the horizon, the worst you can do is looking at a 90° angle out the window - then you see things flying by at the highest speed. So first try to adapt to it by playing something where you can sit and that does not involve high speeds of any kind. Or something where you stand, but must not run around a lot. Eleven Table Tennis, for example, or Golf, or - very nice! - FX Pinball VR. Already next come driving sims, again your body sits still in your seat, and the virtual cockpit provides a fixed reference frame again. - Flight sims and FPS and rollercoaster come last!! - I played The Hunter 2D in virtual desktop mode once, and it was very impressive - but due to the head movement when walking, I got motionsick very quickly. Skyrim VR is a marvellous game in VR, but I needed some time to adapt to it, could not play longer than 45 minutes before feeling slightly uncomfortable. I now can play it as long as I want.

It can be trained, the brain only needs some time to adapt. Thats why the Oculus gameshop has comfort level labels for the titles listed. The more comfortable a game is rated, the less any fast, hectic movement or multi-axis movement is usually involved. I also would reocmmend not to try my beloved Subnautica too early, becasue it has three-dimensional movement (diving in an ocean), and sometimes no reference points for the eye.

I think its worth it to try. When you have sat in a 737 cockpit in VR in X Plane for the first time at dawn or night and all the tech stuff glows around you in the twilight, you just must fall silent in amazement.

Google Earth is well for training, too, because you can comfortably vary any speed at which you move around. Too fast - you just do it slower, and smoothly and easily so. You will notice from session to session that your brain grows its adaptation level. Just do not push or try to enforce things. Stop immediately when you feel the first signs of nausea - at the latest.

Oh, and make sure you get steady 90 fps, or with some games that are good at using it: 45 fps with ASW on.

Thw orst thing that happened to me so far, was that incident with the rolelrcoaster thing I described two or three posts above. That rotating in all three space axis was too much, I was ill for hours to come. Seriously so. The world continued to spin around me even hours later. But even that got better a bit since then, I tried it three more times, and now things are not as bad anymore as they had been.