View Single Post
Old 09-04-07, 06:20 AM   #58
CB..
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

excellent stuff Horsa many many thanks....sya you couldn't do me an enourmous favour and zip up the SCRIPTS folder and let me down load it...i'm hoping some of the information regarding how the game manages the missions scripting may also be in english so i can get a clearer picture of what is doung what and how regarding missions structure and functionabilyt etc..check it first tho and if the texts are in german then it;s ok they haven't translated that deeply..

yes indeed!!!
i think folks here are very "used" to seeing things done in subsims in a certain way....and SOF just kinda does things in the opposite fashion!

the lack of active sonar in WW1 throws the gameplay into a different universe than WW2 sims..leaving dedicated WW2 simmers wondering what on earth might be the point of the game,,?

the 2d screens and relatively poor sea animation as stock

all this serves to distract potentail players from what is in actaul fact a top rank submarine simulation...it has plenty of features that SH3/4 can only dream of regarding sub physics....the lack of any automatic "scope depth" is absolutely huge...i love the fact that if you park on the bottom (obviuosly in very shallow water)...you cannot start the engines UNTILL you raise the boat off the sea floor..
the damage incurred as you go deeper is dynamic incremental and cascading....in this game if you hear the hull creak sounds they really mean something not just ear candy or atmosphere etc..
you have no way of knowing your maximum safe diving depth...or as i say what is the best depth for raising the scope...you set scope depth by hand..and it changes with the waves and sea state

the world map really is the world map and it is possible to travel all the way to the USA (afaik) and back as with the other sims...going to have do some research on ww1 sub operations as the stock campaign doesn't really exploit this capability much...

it offers a whole world of stuff...yesterday i watched the scharnhorst battling it out with three english destroyers and a cruiser...quite a battle!

so it does surface ship to ship engagements as well...

it's a balls out serious susbsim..with a sense of humour and a whole world of charm

http://www.ebort2.co.uk/

The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B.Yeats
CB.. is offline   Reply With Quote