View Single Post
Old 09-04-07, 05:39 AM   #56
horsa
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 44
Uploads: 3

Would this help ...

CB – English version of manual can be downloaded from my site here -

http://www.amberphotography.co.uk/navalsite/Downloads/ShellsofFury/Manual 1914-Shells of fury.pdf

Been following the excitement generated by this thread and decided to purchase the English download version from Strategy First. Everything sweet – no FPS problems and of course English translations.

I was always put off by the lack of interest shown in the game. I reasoned if Subsim was a a fan site for subsimmers then it spoke volumes for SOF if it couldn’t muster much attention. I knew it wasn’t SH3/4 ( small team, budget production etc ) but the negative reactions suggested it was also a poor game.

So I’ve got to say I was very pleasantly surprised …… this game is fun. No point in reviewing in detail cos you’ve pretty much done that already and my own experience and impressions are very similar to yours .

I’d like to highlight a few personal things ….

For me it’s :-

1. Curiously quite atmospheric. Its graphics are …. well …. idiosyncratic to say the least … but despite its “comic book” feel I do get a feeling of being in a WWI setting.

2. It’s worth its money for its history value. You’re right CB about SH3/4 and tonnage. SOF does let you know what it was like when submarines were submersible novelties and commercial raiding from beneath the waves was not the automatic choice of operation.

3. It has a strong feel of “ its all down to what the eye can see”. HM will know what I’m talking about here because we spent two years on a WW1 project where this sort of thing was discussed in some length …

4. It makes a stab at sea spray over the bow and fog banks …. Water and mist everywhere …. good murky North Sea stuff ….

I hope you can all keep the ball rolling with this one and look forward to all the mods and improvements you guys are working on …. As you say it’s highly moddable
horsa is offline   Reply With Quote