View Single Post
Old 09-03-07, 02:31 PM   #48
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Quote:
but what i do is raise the scope so it just breaks the water...there is a height at which you can see the enemy but the game doesn't register them as being able to see you..ie the red dot on the compass object doesn't appear and the mini map stays clear also...at this stage you can actualy ram the ship and he will not have spotted you..(tho not recomended ..but you see what i mean!)
Ahhh I had noticed those two different stituations, but had no idea in one of them you would not get detected :hmm:

Quote:
ok..the other methodology round the spotting distance is by editing the

StateEngineTemplates.txt (main root folder)

this stores all the various AI instructions the game uses...

here's an example

c:0,1,PlayerNear:g#2
a:1,CreateSimObject:#1
a:1,GoTo:g#2,0,#4
a:2,GoTo:g#3,0,#4
a:3,Ramm:
c:1,2,LastDestinationReached:1500
c:2,1,LastDestinationReached:1500
c:1,3,EnemyVisible:5000
c:2,3,EnemyVisible:5000
c:3,1,-EnemyVisible:6000

i reckon editing the

EnemyVisible:5000

entrys is liable to reap results...tho not neccesarily all the time...as i think the AUTO_SHIPPING has it's own rules not so far found any where..
Coool now I know where it is

Quote:
say do you know the crush depth for the subs...???

that red bar on the depth meter seems widly optomistic !!!!
i can't get to half that depth in the u35 without crushing the hull...
No, I also experimented the surprise crush but looking at historic figures it seems that design depth was 50 metres, though some dived to 90 and even 100 metres without crushing :hmm:

Quote:
i've added a SOF mod section to my site....do you want to put the scope mod you've made on it...it might help my targeting abit!!
The scale is not yet calibrated correctly and as such serves not very much. However, I will try to find time to do it properly

In itself, shooting without manual TDC is very easy as long as you stay at right angles to your target's course...All you need to know is the target speed and course, get on a 90º course to it yourself and calculate from the speed of the target and the torpedo speed how muany degrees before the enemy crosses your bow you must shoot. An example:

Your course: 0º (North) Your chosen torpedo speed: 35 knots

Target course: 270 º (West) Target speed: 8 knots

You see the target currently at 45º to your right. When do you fire?

Easy: You must fire at the moment when the torpedo and target will take the same time to arrive at the same point, and you can calculate that with the Law of Sines, or, more easily, let a slide ruler calculate that for you. We align the 90º mark in the Sine scale with our Torpedo Speed (35 in the normal metric scale) and opposite the speed of the target in the metric scale (8) we read in the Sine scale 13,5º

So, you would turn your scope towards the target exactly 13,5 degrees from your bow (That's why I need badly an accurate bearing read in the scope) and when it crosses your scope crosshari you would shoot. Torpedo and target would then meet exactly in front of your bow

If you are interested in knowing a bit more about that all, get the tutorial I wrote for the S-Boats: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=120095

It's authentic WW1 method of shooting and trust me, it gets addictive