View Single Post
Old 09-03-07, 10:25 AM   #46
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

I'm happy to see that you guys have gotten into SOF I bought it some time ago and like it very much, and since I can speak german it has never been a problem for me with the translations.

I tinkered a bit under the game's hood and it is certainly very open. I added a graded reticle to the scope for shooting, but it needs the proper calibration. Manual targeting is possible, but there are three problems:

First, you need a wiz-wheel to calculate torpedo deflection

Second, you can't set two of the historic Gyro Angles used by germans in WW1 (90º and 270º), which limits a lot your shooting tactics :hmm:

Third, there is no accurate bearing indicator on your sub that tells you the bearing you are looking at The horrible submarine silhouette with the yellow field of view and red ball representing the target is unusable, and for accurate torpedo shooting a la WW1 you need precise bearings as there is no TDC and you must aim with the whole sub (Like WW1/2 airplanes)

As for the scope being difficult to bring to bear into the enemy, press the shift key when moving it and it will do it slowly

Aside from that, the game has only a major nit-pick for me, and that's the spotting distance of the enemy. They see your scope and sub too easily! In real life anything above 10.000 metres would mean your sub small silhouette is invisible even at day, and 4000 metres onwards no persicope wake is visible, except in flat calm seas Any ideas where the files for that are located???

P.S: the game is a gold pot for modders....even 3D models for new ships are easy to add according to Seeadler