Old 12-31-19, 02:28 PM   #312
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by von Zelda View Post
propbeanie,
My computer is a 10 year old, Toshiba laptop with Windows 7 Home, 64-bit, IntelCore 1.3 CPU 380@2.53GHz with 4.0GB, Intel HD graphics. I have installed LAA. The game plays very well on my laptop.

I've never tried the "Museum" until today. It took a long, long time to load but finally came up. The ships sailing on the ocean look really nice but I've got to say, in my humble opinion, it's an option I'd never look at again. The recognition book is all I'd need.

This Museum must take up a lot of memory and computer usage?

Is there away to delete it totally or partially from SH4 and FotRS? Game play is most important, not the Museum. Just one man's opinion. Thanks.
I would be afraid to remove the Museum from the game. My guess is that it was a "test" area for the developers, and they thought it cool enough to leave it in the "game", somewhat like the Mission Editor, in that neither would be considered to be truly "complete". If an "asset" runs OK in the Museum though, it will run in the game. The same cannot be said for the ME... But these are just another "mode" of the game. Once you run any mode of the game, you should exit the game, and then re-start it before going into another mode of the game. Definitely not 2020-tech programming, but actually rather good for 2005 when it was developed for SH3...

As to your computer, a Dell first-gen Core i3 laptop is what I was using for a long while, until I had a catastrophic hard drive crash. Replacing the hard drive got me a few more months out of it. We had already cannibalized another similar computer for its RAM to boost the one working laptop to 8gig of RAM, otherwise, it would be very similar to yours. You might be able to limit the onboard graphics to 512k in order to free some more shared RAM, but my Dell did 1024 and only 1024, so with 4 gig, there was only 3 gig available for the computer itself, of which, the OS would eat another 1gig, which left only 2 gig for the game... - You might be able to find some RAM for a bargain basement price. Then again, it might not be available any longer...

Edit: Just one last little point - When you are playing the Career mode, only certain files load. The rest of the game is "idle" on the hard drive, not used and not in RAM. When you play the SingleMission mode of the game, a different set of files is loaded. Some of the career files come in, but not all of them. Similarly to when using the career, the rest of the game is "idle" on the hard drive. Same with the SinglePatrol "mode" files. The Multi-Player portion loads almost a completely different set of files, with none of the career coming in, and mostly only the ships, planes & subs and other similar "assets" come in, along with the LOC and NMS files. In all of the above "modes" of the game, all "assets" only generate (aka: "spawn") into the game when within the "spawn range", which is somewhere around from just beyond the horizon (18-20km), guessing about 24 to 32km away. You will at times see the "stutter" of them generating in the game as their 3D asset is drawn. When you run the Museum, every last ship and plane involved in the game is run through and generated, which is what makes it a useful "trouble-shooting" tool. The Career and other modes do the "checks" on-the-fly (very difficult to tell what caused a CTD), while the Museum does it prior to display. This is not to say that if the Museum loads that all is well... You still have to click through the list to find any "problem" assets, which will usually crash the game. Then you can run through the list to find which one crashed you. But in all cases, the game apparently does not release its 'buffer' RAM, or maybe Windows doesn't feel the need to release it, since this is a 'legacy' app, but either way, you will usually have to exit completely from the game so that such RAM is properly released, then re-start the game to play the other "mode". As such, the Museum might take up some minimal hard drive space, but most of it is the actual game parts...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna

Last edited by propbeanie; 12-31-19 at 02:54 PM. Reason: By The Way...
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote