View Single Post
Old 09-02-08, 08:53 AM   #19
tater
Navy Seal

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrauerHour
Interesting. I was involved in the closed beta of PotBS, and I left due to the lack of realism. The closed beta forums were filled with complaints about the direction the game was going. When they announced they would add magical content, I told them I was gone.

Anyone who has read Patrick O'brian or at least watched Master and Commander knows what type of game I would like. Maybe it is a niche, but seeing how many people were dissapointed by PotBS, and knowing that everyone I hang out with also wants a true depiction of the Age of Sail makes me think that an accurate game would do well.

Part of the fun is sailing and the fact that the wind must be a primary factor in any engagement.
I wasn't in any betas od POTBS, I left when I saw the change in direction from the devs in the forums. I hung around posting for a while, trying to get digs in (realistic feeling vs magical sailing) but to no avail.

Here's the deal.

The age of sail is fascinating from a role-playing standpoint with the player as an officer/captain. It offers cool ship combat, hand to hand, cutting out, sending parties to on shore to attack land targets (gun batteries, etc).

Part of what makes such things challenging is the wind. Blockading harbors works because there are limited times and places ships can leave due to the wind. Accurate at some base level—again, I don't require player control of every single staysail, etc—means replay ability. You can have the same French Frigate vs British frigate action, and with variable wind conditions, it would be fun and different every single time. Strikes me in POTBS (or similar), the only difference might be randomness in the damage models.

Sailing is everything to an age of sail game. I can even see for multiplayer speeding up time, so that engagements take less time. More important is not allowing ships to sail past close-hauled without towing (and only then in light wind after manning the boats (at GQ, they should have been hoisted out and trailed astern with a painter anyway).

I see all these games and it makes me sad there is no way to mod the awesome models into something realistic. I'd be all over a good frigate level age of sail game like a bad suit.
tater is offline   Reply With Quote