View Single Post
Old 05-26-22, 05:36 PM   #4641
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 436
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeniorCitizen View Post
If this has been discussed or explained somewhere, please just point me to the right place. I searched the FOTRSU thread but couldn't find anything addressing this specifically.

I'm in USS Gato out of Brisbane. I returned from a patrol in early 1943 and saw that I could upgrade my existing 4inch/50cal deck gun to a 4inch/50cal combined with an additional 20mm "deck" gun on other end of boat. I purchased this upgrade for my Gato. I happen to have my 4inch on the bow so the new single 20mm took the stern deck placement. I also have my primary AA gun (dual 20mm) in its normal placement up on the back of the sail. After setting out on patrol I first stopped to do all my normal pre-patrol checks so I can quickly run back into port if something is amiss. I've got a couple of questions related to the new 20mm deck gun after checking things out.

First, does the new deck mounted 20mm gun function solely as an additional deck gun against surface targets and is not employable as additional AA gun? I saw that the new 20mm gets manned whenever I select "man the deck gun" just as the 4inch gets manned and it appears to react automatically to the same commands I give for the main deck gun (fire at will, aim for waterline, etc.). Giving AA gun commands to the dual 20mm AA has no effect on the single deck mounted 20mm. The deck mounted 20mm also has slots for a crew of 4 just like the 4 inch deck gun, while the dual 20mm AA gun is manned by a crew of one. Is it supposed to be that way?

Finally, I can't see any way to take control of the new single 20mm deck gun. I can take control and manually fire the 4inch main deck gun or the dual 20mm AA gun, but I don't see a method to assume control of the single 20mm deck gun. Just wondering what I might be missing or don't understand.
you have a firm grasp of the obvious.
in order to bring your 20mm to bear on surface targets, the modders had to slave it to the deck gun and so you cannot control it. it was an accommodation to circumvent poor Ubi design.

you can use the dual-20's or the deck gun manually but not the AA gun that came with the deck gun.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote