View Single Post
Old 10-18-21, 07:30 AM   #8
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post
Query... to run a S boat, out of the Aleutian's... during '42... what base would I need to do... love how with FotRS, it gives that direct indicator of that. may look at seeing of a, update to the career start screen similar in scope of FotRS, Bubblehead1980... just a suggestion... to make it easier to be able to chose a career out of the Aleutian's.

M. M.

Oh, on a side note... think with the torp dud ratio that is set up at the start, is good... in a Sargo boat, out of Manilla... shot at 3 targets, a bit of.. harbor raiding, set up 6 torps... 4 aft, 2 fore... had 1 hit & do damages to 1 of the targets... no idea of the others. but consider that they ran deep... sent 2 more from fore, of course.. owing to knowing that the torps have that dud factor built in... (am NOT doing as they would, what with husbanding torps, as was messaged to the skippers off the rip of the war... which that message is sent to all skippers, in FotRS. That & to submerge during the day & run 1 engine for recharge, as well... may want to think of some addition of that message in TMOverhauled... just a suggestion. ) so am sending 2 at each target that I run across... knowing the dud factor is there. Any way, the 1 ship I damaged, was a tanker, enough tonnage to finish off the op orders I had, free range orders & sink shipping.... before it sank... it went up in a spectacular fireball, managing to stay intact except for the 2 holes in it. (Yeah, I free cammed to view My handiwork.. Didn't think to take a snap shot of it... dang it all. Ugh...

M. M.

On the start screen , scroll down and select Aleutians Campaign. then options are S-18 or S-44 class out of Dutch Harbor. Pretty simple, so thought it needed no redesign. I will include note on it in next README.

I will look into historical accuracy of giving messages about conserving torpedoes add remaining submerged during the day. I am aware it was standard procedure then of course, pre war doctrine was conserve torpedoes and remain submerged. I encourage remaining submerged by removing SD radar at start of war, as most subs did not have it since SD air search radar was new technology just beginning to be installed on subs. I am actually not sure any of the Asiatic boats had it yet. A few of sub pac boats had it and were sent to patrol off home islands. I know it is a huge risk to stay on surface doing day in early war, have had a couple player tell me they were sunk or severely damaged in air attacks when running on surface without SD radar. For upcoming patch I have changed visual sensors of crew to be a little better, they are far too blind as when player can see ships at 10 NM but crew cant, etc. Plans are typically spotted about 6 NM in new settings, still not much time to get below.

Yes, overall I am pretty happy with torpedoes, represent the various issues. I have refined them a bit to be a bit more accurate in their unreliability in upcoming patch. In 1941/1942 I was lucky to sink one ship, maybe two per patrol due torpedo issues. I have also incorporated longer sinking times mod into sim, these keep tonnage to historical levels for the time period.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote