View Single Post
Old 10-17-21, 06:31 PM   #4
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirCory View Post
I'm fairly new to understanding the working of a US sub during WW2 (and if this is the wrong section let me know and I'll move it). Based on what I've gathered and read so far, the crew management page isn't quite close to how it was in real life.

What duties did the officers hold? How many was there depending on the type of sub?

Looking for any history buffs with knowledge or suggested reading. I see some say 5-8 depending on the war, but besides the CO and XO, I'm at a loss.
well, sir cory, i've been on the boats. specifically Gato and Balao class.
they were berthed for eight commissioned officers and four chiefs.
that is the maximum berthing capacity of Officer Country (7) and the Goat Locker(4). The CO had his own "stateroom" but that is a misnomer. the captain's space was less than a handicap stall in a commercial building. shorter too.
there is no one alive today who can say with certainty what the berthing arrangements were when the number of either group exceeded the berthing space.
the real problem would have been the stowage of the extra person's personal gear as there is precious little extra room on a sub, especially late in the war, when every cubic inch was crammed with new gadgets, and absolutely zero extra room in either berthing compartment.
i can only guess, based on the USN traditions of which i am aware. Most probably there was time-share for the bunks of the lowest in seniority among the officers or chiefs. i can tell you that none of them would be bunking among the enlisted ranks.
i hope that helps.

fortunately for SH4-Subsimmers, we do not have to contend with all of that space issue crap, so....party out and carry as many chiefs and officers you feel like. (lol)

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote