View Single Post
Old 03-16-14, 08:06 AM   #36
Oleander
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-i-c- View Post
I have no idea how Ubisoft "measures" piracy. But I know from other mobile indie developers that 95% is the usual rate of piracy for their games. They can measure it via Game Center. When you've sold just 5000 copies but you have 100000 users on Game Center then it's pretty clear that 95% of the players use illegal copies.

But the point is how many of those 95% would have bought it if it would have been impossible to copy it? That's something you can't answer unless you have a perfect copy protection.
That I will agree with you on, but not all games require you to register to play that's why I'm wondering where the numbers come from cause they seem pretty high. Its only a recent thing where publishers like Ubisoft have required games to be launched via U-Play much like what Steam does through its start up verification process. I'm not dead set against DRM, but I don't like it when it has the potential to render a game unplayable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-i-c- View Post
Because a lot of people want everything for free and they just don't realize that what they are doing is nothing else but a kind of slavery (using the work of other but not willing to pay). Even my 99 cent titles all got pirated within 3 days - so it clearly is not about the poor "broke people" or overpricing.
To an extent, yes. I can tell you from personal experience that I have bought my last game at launch price after I've been burned on several titles being launched buggy and nearly unplayable; SimCity, Arkham City, New Vegas and probably others. Nothing makes me more ill than paying $60 for a game and then not being able to play it because they messed up something in the code, or it was a bad port to PC or the new DRM policy has broken it. I'm not saying that's the sole reason but I think people are timid about buying games these days cause they're worried they'll get screwed, I mean look at Gary's Incident.

Please don't think I'm defending pirating, I hate it but it has its benefits. Look at what it has done for SH5, a game that was all but DOA when it launched from either bad code or stuff just being flat out unfinished. I think what TDW was trying to say is that those guys who can crack the game and get the source code so they can fix the problems if a game is broken, not to do it for personal game. Look at the modding communities out there, how many games have those communities to thank for their longevity on the market? There's a bunch that are still around 10+ years later thanks to mods and community improvement.
Oleander is offline   Reply With Quote