View Single Post
Old 11-28-22, 01:27 PM   #8
HunterICX
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
I bought Rome Remastered a couple of days ago, in a sale, and once I am done with my current match of Medieval 2 will try that one. Its said to have healed several of the strategic map play issues of the older title, repaired some of the broken game mechanics.

Once you do it's worth checking out this mod for it :

it's still 0.5.2 last time I checked but the added content is substantial and plays like a different game imo.

Quote:
BTW, I still have the memory and impression that the most differentiated tactical play was to be had in the very first game of the series, Shogun 1, and also Medieval 1. Just the bitmap graphics keep me from playing them today. Flanking, height differences, obedience to orders I gave, in my memory at least were superior to what later games offered. Much more tactical moving-forth-and-back to win a battle while also keeping losses low.
Not forget the strategic play in the original Shogun (can't comment on the original Medieval since I never managed to obtain that game).

The economy was the harvest which you gained income from 1 every 4 turns (4 seasons of the year) this added so much planning in your spending which added a lot which the later games lacked imo and I agree with the tactical play you mentioned...it felt having more of an impact depending on the troops composition you brought and the landscape.