View Single Post
Old 01-13-23, 04:13 PM   #53
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
As for Vitamin D I’ve also read it assists with cognitive function.
Well, its no vitamine, but a steroid homrmne. That means as a hormone it is practically omnipresent. Only few molecules and elements are participating in so many metabolic function, like Vit-D.

With age comes a declining energy support of neural cells in the brain. Amiognst othger pathsm, Vit-D apporeoahces the issue here by helping the cells to consume energy in form of certain fats instead of carbo hydrates. It is assume dand research ic done on the thesis that severla forms of mentla disoerders like shizophrenia could be understood as brain cells starving to death due to insufficient energy intake. Deficits like Pakronson and Alzheimer also may have asscoiated links to this understanding fo neurons "starving". Vit-D also seems to affect the regeneration of myelin sheds along neurons.

I think the idea that Vit-D is associated to cognitive performance is a prmsijn g theory that is worth to be researched deeper. Such research is alsraedy done. the results are limited in range and scope, how they get interpreted so far seems to depend ore on the background of the interpreter than the quality of the data, it seems. But I do know that cognitive functionings in Alzheimer patients can be reactivated to certain degrees - as long as the neurons were just close to "neural starvation" death and not indeed alreayd dead - by letting the consume signfiocant amounts of MCT oils and coconut fat/oil. If Vitamine D can be reliably proven to play a role in reuglating the absorbation of such nutrients by neurons, then its relevance for the regulation of cognitive fuctions is practically proven.

But all this I just copy from the backbench of my memory, I snapped it up, red it somewhere, its none of the items I am mainly interested in regarding Vit-D, so do not read too much into what I say here. But I agree with a professor whose lecture I listened to some time ago and who said he would bet a large amount of money that the pharmaceutical industry would not be able to come up with an active substance from its laboratory in the next 15 to 20 years that would even come close to the versatility and relevance of vitamin D for countless metabolic processes in the human body. It's not a magic bullet - but it's a real jack-of-all-trades and hard to overestimate. - I believe the same applies to a high omega-3 consumption and strict omega-6 avoidance, a high (!!) salt consumption, and iodine+selenium. Sugar I think must not even be mentioned anymore to be a problem, everybody should know it by now. The lesser, the better. The idea is: insuline-spike-avoiding eating habits.